Chapter 2: Institutional theory perspective: Gerry Johnson and Royston Greenwood
- How can taking things for granted affect managerial choice?
- What are the dangers of a firm over-relying on institutionally based competences for success?
- Taking the supermarket industry in your country as an example, what isomorphic tendencies do you believe maybe in place there?
Chapter 3: Military strategy perspective: Sylvie Jackson
- What similarities or differences does military strategy have with other perspectives?
- What disadvantages could adopting a military strategy bring?
Chapter 4: A spatial perspective on strategy: Stephen Tallman and Mark Jenkins
- Is it possible for any firm to develop a spatial perspective of strategy?
- What spatially based competitive advantage can you identify in Hollywood, and how is this position sustained?
Chapter 5: Industrial organisation economics perspective: Seân Rickard
- How has the industrial economic perspective developed and what are its benefits and disadvantages in comparison to other economic models?
- Carry out a Porter’s five forces on the women’s clothing industry in a country of your choice.
Chapter 6: Stephen Regan: Game Theory Perspective
- Which industries typically partake in this type of behaviour?
- What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of adopting this type of behaviour?
Chapter 7: Transaction cost economics perspective: Andy Lockett and Steve Thompson
- How would a firm be able to reduce its transaction costs?
- Why is it important for firms to take their transaction costs into consideration? (Hint - page 110)
Chapter 8: Agency theory perspective: Duncan Angwin
- What issues may arise in a firm if it is purely viewed from an agency theory perspective?
- What effect do you think the principal/agent relationship could have on the strategies a firm devises and implements? (Hint - pages 127-128)
Chapter 9: The resource based view of the firm: Véronique Ambrosini
- How can a firm protect its current and future VRIN resources?
- What are Disney’s main sources of advantage?
- Do you think these are VRIN?
- What VRIN resources will Disney need in the future?
Chapter 10: The cognitive perspective: Gerard Hodgkinson
- How could a CEO’s experience in previous firms impact on his/her decision-making in a new organisation?
- What differences in perception would a CEO and shop assistant have in terms of regarding their competition?
Chapter 11: Knowledge perspective: J-C Spender
- What would be the limitations of solely pursuing a knowledge perspective?
- Is it appropriate for firms to satisfice?
Chapter 12: Network Perspective: Silviya Svejenova and José Luis Alvarez
- What linkages do you think the network perspective could have with the resource based view of the firm?
- What benefits do you think a network would have over a merger, acquisition, alliance or joint venture?
Chapter 13: Strategy-as-practice perspective: Julia Balogun, Paula Jarzabkowski and David Seidl
- What are the limitations of the strategy-as-practice perspective?
- What praxis, practices and practitioners do you think would be enacted in a management consulting organisation?
Chapter 14: Complexity perspective: Jean Boulton and Peter Allen
- How could the complex systems perspective be used by an organisation to view data from environmental scanning?
- How does this perspective compare to some of the more economically biased perspectives?
Chapter 15: Critical management perspective: Mahmoud Ezzamel and Hugh Willmott
- Apply the critical management perspective to some of the other theories presented in the book.
Chapter 16: The theory and reality of strategy: How practitioners and academics can form meaningful partnerships: Suzanne Behr and Margaret White
- What benefits can you see, for both sides, in the interactions of practitioners and academics?
Chapter 17: Conclusion
- Which theory do you think is more relevant to the organisation you currently work for (or to an organisation that you are well aware of)? How has this theory been adopted?