Learning Tips for ESL Students
Reading and understanding a large textbook is not easy. Here are some tips:
- Reading is slow work; give your self a lot of time.
- Don’t try to read too much at once.
- Highlight or underline any new vocabulary during the first read.
- Use the glossary to find the meaning of new words.
- Predict the meaning of new words from the prefix or root.
- Guess the meaning of new words from the context of the sentence or paragraph.
- Read aloud; sometimes you will recognize a word if you hear it.
- Use the terminology checklist at the end of each chapter to evaluate your learning of new words.
One of the most effective ways to learn the material in this text is to work with other students. Make a study group. Quiz each other on new terminology and discuss the ideas presented in each chapter. Together with help from your instructor you will be able to master both the language and the content of this text.
A searchable glossary is also available, which provides key terms and will help you to help develop your vocabulary.