Learning tips for ESL studentsReading and understanding a large textbook is not easy. Here are some tips:
- Reading is slow work; give your self a lot of time.
- Don’t try to read too much at once.
- Highlight or underline any new vocabulary during the first read.
- Use the glossary to find the meaning of new words.
- Predict the meaning of new words from the prefix or root.
- Guess the meaning of new words from the context of the sentence or paragraph.
- Read aloud; sometimes you will recognize a word if you hear it.
- Use the terminology checklist at the end of each chapter to evaluate your learning of new words.
Click here to navigate to a searchable glossary, which provides key terms and will help you to help develop your vocabulary.