Suggested Answer to Exercise 15.3 (Part 1)
Approaching the Question
The suggested answer contained in these pages is designed to illustrate how to answer Exercise 15.3 whilst also helping you to develop your problem answering skills.
- It is only an illustration. There is no one right way to answer any question.
- It is in note form – you need to develop and practice your own style of answering questions.
- Questions such as this require a systematic application of the rules contained in the LRA 2002. If you are not confident about using these rules (and about finding you way around the Act), then choose another question.
- You will not get good marks for answering this type of question unless you are able to explain how and why the relevant statutory sections apply. You will almost certainly have to consider how the courts may interpret (or have already interpreted) specific provisions of the LRA 2002. It will rarely, if ever, be enough merely to quote or paraphrase the relevant section.
Before you go to the next page, make notes under the following headings:
- What issues are raised by these facts (what does Agnes want to know)?
- What rules will you need to use to answer these questions?