Audio downloadsFrom this page, you can download and listen to readings of a range of texts featured in the book.
You can listen to these audio files through your internet browser, on your PC, or by downloading them to another device.
Click on the links below to listen to the audio files in a new tab/window. To download the files, right-click, select ‘Save as’, 'Save target as', or ‘Save link as’ and specify the destination to which you would like to save the file. MP3 files can be downloaded to your MP3 player or your iPod.
Do you require MP3 help?
Download the readings
- Copyright warning
- Text 004 & 5a Peterborough Chronicle Old English
- Text 014 Cædmon’s Hymn West Saxon & Northumbrian Old English
- Text 033 Peterborough Chronicle, 1140 Early Middle English
- Text 035 Ormulum, late 12th C. Early East Midlands Middle English
- Text 053 Ayebite of Inwyt, 1340 Kentish Middle English
- Text 059 Barbour’s The Brace, c.1375 Scots Middle English
- Text 062 York Pentecost Play, c.1470 Northern Middle English
- Text 066 Sir Gawayn and þ e Grene Knygt West Midland Middle English
- Text 068 Piers Plowman, c.1370 West Midland Middle English
- Text 082 The Friar’s Tale, late 14th C. East Midland/London Middle English
- Text 085 Boke of Margery Kempe East Midland Early Modern English, c.1420
- Text 089 Paston Letters East Midland Early Modern English, c.1480
- Text 110 John Hart’s An Orthographie, London Early Modern English, 1569
- Text 120 Sir Thomas Browne, On the Early Modern English Badger, 1646
- Text 146 Rhymes in John Dryden’s Early Modern English Aeneis, 1697 Versions of ‘Peter’s denial’ - St Matthew’s Gospel, Ch xxvi, vv.69-75:
- Text 174 Late West Saxon Old English
- Text 175 14th-century South Midland Middle English
- Text 176 Early 16th-century Scots Middle English
- Text 177 Early Modern English late 16th century
- Text 178 Early Modern English early 17th century
- Text 179 20th-century Scots
- Text 180 20th-century Modern English
- Text 181 20th-century Bislama (Vanuatu Pidgin English)