Chapter 9 essay questions - Political Communication and the Mass MediaReturn to full list of essay questions.
- How far do different media require different political communication skills? In what ways might television trivialize political debate?
- How far does the concentration of ownership of the press and media generally pose problems for democracy?
- How far and in what ways is the British press and British television biased?
- In what ways has the internet transformed political communication in Britain? How far does it facilitate genuine two-way communication between citizens and government? How might it transform democracy?
- How much real political power and influence do the media have?
- What evidence is there that the British press, or the media generally, have significantly influenced political views and party choice?
- To what extent has media coverage of British politics been ‘dumbed down’?
- What is spin and how new is it? How far was New Labour spin effective?
- How far and in what ways might the new media encourage more political participation and interactive public debate? Do the new media pose any problems for politics?