Chapter 10: Further study
In personal statements you have to demonstrate that you have the qualities required in the specific vacancy you’re targeting, i.e. the skills, commitment, knowledge and experience.
For example, if teamwork skills are required, outline how you work in a team by listening and encouraging… If experience is required, relate what you’ve done in the past to that specific role.
The most common mistake people make is trying to prove what they think they have to offer without relating it to what’s actually required.
A full example personal statement is provided in The Graduate Career Guidebook.
- Kent University: www.kent.ac.uk/careers/postgradmenu.htm – Wide range of useful links including an excellent section on studying overseas
- Milkround: www.milkround.com – See the Advice section
- The Open University: https://help.open.ac.uk/applying-for-further-study – Good all-round advice
- Target Postgrad – Thousands of courses compared to each other according to a rage of quality criteria
- Postgraduate Search
- Get Into Uni: www.getintouni.com/Free/WritingGuide – Advice on personal statements