Author FAQs – Digital Frees Pilot
We are delighted that you are taking part in our pilot to explore how we can provide authors with digital free copies of their books. We've tried to answer any questions you may have, but if your question is not covered below please contact us and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.
What's it all about?
- No other publisher is doing this why are Palgrave doing this?
- What are the benefits to me of Palgrave doing this?
- Can I still buy print copies using my author discount?
- Can I purchase additional e-copies with my author discount?
- As it will be much cheaper for you to send ecopies than print why can't I have more than 5 copies?
What do I do?
- Are there expiration dates for the codes?
- What reading devices do you currently support?
- Do I need special software to read an ebook?
- Can I re-download my ebook to another device?
- Can I exchange my ebook for a different title?
- I can't remember my password, can I change or reset it?
- What does 'side-load' mean?
- What does 'direct download' mean?
- I entered my redemption code and was told it was 'not valid' or 'already redeemed'. What can I do?
- I downloaded my ebook but I can't find it. Where did it go?
- Will my ebook show up in my Kobo, Kindle or iBooks library on my device?
- I've downloaded an ebook, but I am having problems opening it on my computer or device.
- I don't see my device listed. What should I select?
- My ebook doesn't look quite right on my device. What's wrong?
- I'm reading my book on my Kindle and another device but it doesn't sync to furthest page read when I go between the two, why not?
What's it all about?
No other publisher is doing this why are Palgrave doing this?
Several other scholarly publishers have also begun experimenting with digital frees, although few have taken such a flexible approach. Palgrave has invested significantly in digital workflow and this initiative reflects the direction of scholarly publishing. We can deliver digital frees more quickly and flexibly than print copies, and allow authors to choose the format in which they receive them. We are launching this pilot so that we can ensure the experience is positive for our authors.
What are the benefits to me of Palgrave doing this?
We believe there are several significant benefits to this initiative. Authors will receive their digital frees more quickly than print copies (immediately on, or even before, official publication), and will be able to choose the download option they prefer. Files can be redownloaded if necessary, for example for a new device. Codes can be passed on to others more cheaply, quickly and easily than print copies.
Can I still buy print copies using my author discount?
Yes, your author discount for print books remains unchanged.
Can I purchase additional e-copies with my author discount?
We are not offering this service for the pilot, but if you're interested we'd be happy to discuss how we could best implement in the future: please contact us.
As it will be much cheaper for you to send ecopies than print why can't I have more than 5 copies?
There is still a significant cost associated with the codes for digital frees, so we need to manage this responsibly. If you need additional ecopies please contact us to discuss.
What do I do?
I've never used an ebook – what do I need to do?
If you prefer not to download your digital free copies as ebooks to read on devices, you can instead download to your computer as a PDF file. Simply select PDF from the list of options when you visit the page to redeem the code, and select the location to which to save your file.
I want to pass my ebook copy to a colleague/friend – how do I do this?
Any copies of your book that you download yourself are not transferrable, but you can simply email one of your codes to a friend or colleague (along with the instructions you received in your original email) so that they can download their own copy. They will have to add their email address to create an account and download a book. Please remember though that each code can only be used once, so don't send any one code to more than one person!
Where do I go to download my free ebooks?
The email which contained the codes includes full instructions, including the link on the Palgrave site from which you can download your book: www.palgrave.com/downloads. Simply enter your email address and one of your redemption codes to start the download process.
Why do you ask for my email address when you already have it?
For this pilot phase, authors have to create an account with our technology partner Enthrill in order to download their books. Your email address is your username for your 'my books' account. The first time you download an ebook we automatically set up an account for you and send you an email with your password. Enthrill guarantee that your email is securely held and will not be shared with any third parties.
Are there expiration dates for the codes?
Because this is a pilot, the codes generated between March and August 2014 will expire at the end of December 2014. You will be able to redownload files if required after this date as long as you completed the original download before the deadline.
What reading devices do you currently support?
Palgrave digital frees can be downloaded to virtually all ereaders, tablets, smart phones, as well as your computer. Every device works a bit differently and we have download instructions on the site to help guide you.
Do I need special software to read an ebook?
Dedicated ereader devices such as Kindle and Kobo do not require additional software. Most multi-purpose devices, such as PCs, tablets and smartphones, require an ereader app to read your book. There are numerous apps to choose from and some may work better than others for your particular device. Look for your device on our download instructions page and you'll find recommended apps and helpful information.
Can I re-download my ebook to another device?
Yes. When you first download a book, we automatically create a digital frees account for you and send you an email with your sign-in information. Sign in to your "my books" account, browse for your book, select your new device type and download your book again. You may download each book up to six times in total.
Can I exchange my ebook for a different title?
No, each code is linked to a specific book.
I can't remember my password, can I change or reset it?
Yes, simply go to www.palgrave.com/downloads, click on the 'forgot your password' link and we'll email you a new one.
What does 'side-load' mean?
Some ereader devices require you to connect the device to your laptop or computer to download your file. The ebook file is then transferred, or 'side-loaded', onto your device. Visit the download instructions page and select your device for more information.
What does 'direct download' mean?
Some devices with internet capabilities, such as tablets or smartphones, can download ebook files directly from the web. Simply visit www.palgrave.com/downloads from your device's browser and enter your code and email address to redeem your ebook.
I entered my redemption code and was told it was 'not valid' or 'already redeemed'. What can I do?
First check the code has been input correctly (did you miss off any characeters when cutting and pasting, for example?) If you are still having trouble, please contact our technical partner's support department by email (email@example.com) or call +1-855-368-4745 and they will be happy to help.
I downloaded my ebook but I can't find it. Where did it go?
Often files will auto save in the 'downloads' folder whether downloading directly to your device or via computer. That is the first place to look. You can then move or save the ebook file to your reader app to access your book. If you can't find where it went you can always sign in to your "my books" account to re-download your book at any time, up to a maximum of six downloads in total for each code.
Will my ebook show up in my Kobo, Kindle or iBooks library on my device?
Once the ebook is downloaded to your device and your device has processed the new content, you will see it in your device library alongside all your other books.
I've downloaded an ebook, but I am having problems opening it on my computer or device.
There are a few common issues that may prevent you from opening your ebook.
- You may have downloaded the wrong ebook file by selecting the wrong device or app. For example, if you own a Kindle or use the Kindle App, you will need a .mobi file type. All other devices and apps require an .epub file. If this has happened, simply sign in to your 'my books' account and re-download the ebook. You can then re-select the right device.
- Another common issue is downloading to a device without a ereader application installed. Please make sure that an ereader app (for example iBooks or the Kindle app) is installed on your device prior to redemption.
- Check to see that you have the latest version installed of your reader application. For example, if you use iBooks, go to the App Store and download the most recent version of the iBooks app. Quite often this can solve the issue.
I don't see my device listed. What should I select?
For every other device type you can select "Other". This will display generic instructions on how to download and access your ebook.
My ebook doesn't look quite right on my device. What's wrong?
The easiest thing to do is check to see that you have the most recent version of your reader software app installed on your device. If this doesn't solve the problem, please contact the Enthrill support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
I'm reading my book on my Kindle and another device but it doesn't sync to furthest page read when I go between the two, why not?
Amazon Kindle's Whispersync feature works only for titles purchased via your Amazon account: because these digital free copies are downloaded directly to your device at no cost to you and with no involvement from Amazon this feature is not available.