Covering all the fundamental topics in hydraulics and hydrology, this textbook is an accessible, thorough and trusted introduction to the subject. The text builds confidence by encouraging readers to work through examples,...Show More
Covering all the fundamental topics in hydraulics and hydrology, this textbook is an accessible, thorough and trusted introduction to the subject. The text builds confidence by encouraging readers to work through examples, try simple experiments and continually test their own understanding as the book progresses. This hands-on approach aims to show students just how interesting hydraulics and hydrology is, as well as providing an invaluable reference resource for practising engineers. There are numerous worked examples, self-test and revision questions to help students solve problems and avoid mistakes, and a question and answer feature to keep students thinking and engaging with the text.
The text is essential reading for undergraduates from pre-degree through all undergraduate level courses and for practising engineers around the world.Show Less
- An easy-to-read text assuming little previous knowledge
- A wealth of worked examples to reinforce the theory
- Boxed highlights and Remember! features
- Self-test and revision questions with solutions
- A wide range of figures and photographs
- Derivations kept to the appendix so as not to interrupt the flow of the text
- Updates on climate change, flood risk management, flood alleviation, design considerations when developing greenfield sites, and the design of storm water sewers
- A new chapter on sustainable storm water management (referred to as sustainable drainage systems (SUDS) in the UK) including their advantages and disadvantages, the design of components such as permeable and porous pavements, swales, soakaways and detention ponds and flood routing through storage reservoirs.
Stability of a Floating Body
Fluids in Motion
Flow through Pipelines
Flow under a Varying Head: Time Required to Empty a Reservoir
Flow in Open Channels
Dimensional Analysis and Hydraulic Models
Turbines and Pumps
Introduction to Engineering Hydrology
Applications of Engineering Hydrology
Sustainable Drainage Systems
Appendix 1: Derivations of Equations
Appendix 2: Solutions to Self Test Questions
Appendix 3: Graph Paper.