This innovative book provides clear and straight-forward strategies which help students to understand the conventions of academic assignments and what lecturers expect from their work. Simplify Your Study is organised around...Show More
This innovative book provides clear and straight-forward strategies which help students to understand the conventions of academic assignments and what lecturers expect from their work. Simplify Your Study is organised around nine core units which focus on the ‘sticking points’ of university study, including organisation and planning, reading and note-making strategies, producing essays, critical thinking, delivering presentations and preparing for exams.
Packed with tried-and-tested strategies for success, this essential resource will help students of all disciplines and levels to achieve their academic potential.
- presents students with a set of simple, straightforward strategies for effective academic study
- short units allow students to easily dip in and out of the book and facilitate a more flexible reading experience
- highly visual layout will appeal to students with different learning styles
- is supported by a companion website with additional learning resources
critical thinking for academic writing
doing a dissertation
revision and examinations.
For many students in higher education academic study can be daunting, stressful or frustrating. Consciously or unconsciously, these students use the same studying and learning techniques that they acquired at school, but fail to achieve their potential. Here's their problem: those techniques are not fit for "academic" purpose. However, students never learn this because they receive feedback on their output (e.g. assignments, exams, etc.) rather than on their input (i.e. how they study).Peter Lia has dedicated his career in higher education to empowering students to take more thoughtful and strategic approaches to academic studying and learning. In this refreshing book, he breaks with tradition and encourages students to approach their assignments with creative methods. Out go the endless pages of notes, and in come charts, tables, drawings and templates that encourage students to think logically and critically about their academic work. The result is the demystification of studying and learning in higher education and a more inclusive and fulfilling experience for students. – Iria Giuffrida, William & Mary Law School, USA.
This book simplifies the process of learning and working and will make learning accessible and enjoyable. Peter Lia is a rare master of his craft and every education institution should take note of his creative wisdom. – Ranjita Dhital, University of Reading, UK.
This book blends supportive and inspirational material to provide students with a structured, practical and creative approach to academic assessments. It is a well structured, step-by-step guide and I would highly recommend it. – Benita Cox, Imperial College London, UK.
Peter Lia's Simplify your study is a new resource that will be perfect for my students, as our module is all about Essential Study Skills. The book is clear and explains concepts well in a manner that students will easily understand. – Freda Cook, University of Sunderland, UK.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- The Work-Based Learning Student Handbook Ruth Helyer, Tony Wall, Ann Minton, Amy Lund
- Ace Your Exam Andrew Northedge
- Becoming a Critical Thinker Sandra Egege
- Brilliant Essays Ursula Hackett
- How to Write Your Literature Review Bryan Greetham
- Ethics and Values in Social Work Sarah Banks
- Anti-Discriminatory Practice Neil Thompson
- Maximizing the Impacts of Academic Research Patrick Dunleavy, Jane Tinkler
- Be Well, Learn Well Gareth Hughes
- The Reflective Journal Barbara Bassot
- Critical Thinking Skills Stella Cottrell
- Getting Critical Kate Williams
- Reading and Making Notes Jeanne Godfrey
- Dissertations and Project Reports Stella Cottrell
- Writing for University Jeanne Godfrey
- Referencing and Understanding Plagiarism Kate Williams, Mary Davis
- Skills for Success Stella Cottrell
- The Study Skills Handbook Stella Cottrell
- How to Write Better Essays Bryan Greetham
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Report Writing Michelle Reid
- 14 Days to Exam Success Lucinda Becker