Reflecting the challenges of formulating, implementing and monitoring strategy in practice, White's contemporary text discusses differing theories and approaches in the context of real-world experience. Readers are...Show More
Reflecting the challenges of formulating, implementing and monitoring strategy in practice, White's contemporary text discusses differing theories and approaches in the context of real-world experience. Readers are encouraged to conceptualize and generalize business problems and to confront philosophical issues without losing sight of practical aims.
Each chapter starts with a Key Strategic Challenge and sets the scene of a case study which is resolved at the end of the chapter. The text includes more than sixty Strategy in Action short case examples to illustrate how organizations apply strategy in practice along with fifteen long case studies for detailed analysis. Strategic Projects and Exploring Further sections encourage readers to investigate the subject more in detail.
* Acknowledges the complex reality of strategy in the real world showing students the challenges they will encounter when implementing strategy in practice.
* Provides a solid theoretical grounding in the subject enabling students to develop their own strategic approaches.
* Offers comprehensive and contemporary topic coverage reflecting current trends such as globalization, co-operative strategy and performance measurement.
* Includes separate chapters on Implementation, Monitoring and Risk Assessment reflecting the critical role of these issues within organizations.
* Provides a wide range of international case examples from well-known organizations in all regions of the world allowing students to see how strategy is implemented in practice and reflecting the global nature of strategy for multinational corporations.
Integrated web packages include:
* FOR STUDENTS: Additional long case studies, integrating case study, links to further resources, searchable glossary.
* FOR INTRUCTORS: Suggested teaching pathways and key themes, additional case study questions, comments on exercises and assignments within the text, powerpoint lecture presentations.
Visit www.palgrave.com/business/white for more information.
Acknowledges the complex reality of strategy in the real world shows students the challenges they will encounter when implementing strategy in practice
Provides a solid theoretical grounding enables students to develop their own strategic approaches
Comprehensive and contemporary topic coverage reflects current trends in this constantly developing subject
Includes chapters on Implementation, Monitoring and Risk Assessment reflecting the critical role of these issues
Provides a wide range of international case examples from wellknown organizations in all regions of the world 60 Strategy in Action short case examples plus long case studies allows students to see how strategy is implemented in practice
Reading the Competitive Environment
Analysing Resources, Capabilities and Core Competencies
Creating & Maintaining Competitive Advantage
Differentiating the Product
PART III: STRATEGIC DILEMMAS
Determining the Size of an Enterprise.- Integrating the Strategists
When to Compete and when to Co-operate?.- Managing Risk
Participating in the Global Economy
Part IV: BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER
Monitoring Strategic Performance.- Part V: STRATEGIC ANALYSIS AND AUDIT
Long Case Studies
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Paul Burns
- The Theory and Practice of Change Management John Hayes
- Human Resource Management, 6th edition John Bratton, Jeff Gold
- Simulation Stewart Robinson
- People, Management and Organizations Anna Sutton
- Quantitative Methods Louise Swift, Sally Piff
- New Venture Creation Paul Burns
- An Introduction to Information Systems David Whiteley
- Operations Management David Barnes
- Essential Operations Management Alex Hill, Terry Hill
- Business Strategy David Edgar, George Stonehouse
- Management and Organization Stephen Linstead, Liz Fulop, Simon Lilley