This new study provides an up-to-date survey of social and economic developments in early modern Eastern European rural societies. Markus Cerman revises the traditional images of mighty lords and poor, powerless 'serf...Show More
This new study provides an up-to-date survey of social and economic developments in early modern Eastern European rural societies. Markus Cerman revises the traditional images of mighty lords and poor, powerless 'serf peasants', discussing the theories which led to the assumption that serfdom existed throughout the region.
Cerman contrasts the interpretation of a long-term backwardness with a fresh view of the legal, social and economic status of villagers, their living standards and their role in actively shaping rural communities. Featuring helpful tables, a glossary and a comprehensive bibliography, this is a stimulating reassessment for anyone studying this period and often neglected topic in European history.
Offers new insights and a fresh theoretical basis for future analysis of rural society in the early modern period
Examines and reassesses established theories and myths of European economic development
Synthesizes past and present research on the subject, some of which isn't available in English
Features helpful illustrative tables, a glossary and uptodate bibliography to aid study
List of Tables
Note on References
Understanding 'Demesne Lordship'
The Myth of a 'Second Serfdom'
Explaining the Rise of Demesne Lordship and of the Demesne Economy
A Characterization of the Economic System
A General Backwardness?
Towards a New Assessment
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Antisemetic Moment Pierre Birnbaum
- Popular Movements, 1830-50 John Towers Ward
- A History of Greece J.B. Bury, Russell Meiggs
- Europe in the Sixteenth Century David Maland
- Europe in the Seventeenth Century David Maland
- Heresy, Magic and Witchcraft in Early Modern Europe Gary K Waite
- A History of Poland Anita J. Prazmowska
- The Scientific Revolution and the Origins of Modern Science John Henry
- Resistance and Collaboration in Hitler's Empire Vesna Drapac, Gareth Pritchard
- The Holy Roman Empire 1495-1806 Peter Wilson
- Twentieth-Century Spain
- Villagers and Lords in Eastern Europe, 1300-1800 Markus Cerman