Children's literature is a rapidly expanding field of research which presents students and researchers with a number of practical and intellectual challenges. This research handbook is the first devoted to the specialist...
Children's literature is a rapidly expanding field of research which presents students and researchers with a number of practical and intellectual challenges. This research handbook is the first devoted to the specialist skills and complexities of studying children's literature at university level. Bringing together the expertise of leading international scholars, it combines practical advice with in-depth discussion of critical approaches.
Wide- ranging in approach, Children's Literature Studies: A Research Handbook:
• considers 'children's literature' in its fullest sense, examining visual texts (such as picturebooks), films, computer games and other 'transformed' texts, as well as more traditional modes of writing for children
• offers a step-by-step guide to devising, starting and carrying out a research project (such as a dissertation or thesis), and advice on what kinds of research it is possible and profitable to undertake
• surveys the different methodologies and theoretical approaches used by children's literature scholars
• includes case studies, questions and exercises to reinforce ideas discussed in each chapter
• provides lists of further reading and a specialist glossary that will remain a useful reference resource.
This handbook will be an essential companion for those studying children's literature, whether as undergraduates, postgraduates, or beyond.
Brings together the expertise of leading international scholars
The first book devoted to the specialist skills, challenges and complexities of researching children's literature at university level
Children's Literature Research Skills
Using Research Libraries, Archives and Collections
Research and Theory
Changing Forms and Formats
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- J. K. Rowling Cynthia Hallett, Peggy Huey
- Contemporary Children's Literature and Film Kerry Mallan
- Roald Dahl Ann Alston, Catherine Butler
- C.S. Lewis Michelle Abate, Lance Weldy
- Jessica's First Prayer and Froggy's Little Brother Liz Thiel, Hesba Stratton, Brenda NA
- The Story of the Treasure Seekers and The Wouldbegoods Claudia Nelson, E Nesbit
- Selected Tales for Children and Young People Susan Manly, Maria Edgeworth
- Children's Literature Studies Matthew O Grenby, K. Reynolds
- Melvin Burgess Alison Waller
- Little Goody Two-Shoes and Other Stories Matthew Grenby
- David Almond Rosemary Johnston
- Reading the Child in Children's Literature D. Rudd