The success or failure of China's development will impact not only its own citizens but also those of the world. China is widely recognized as a global actor on the world stage and no global challenge can be resolved without...Show More
The success or failure of China's development will impact not only its own citizens but also those of the world. China is widely recognized as a global actor on the world stage and no global challenge can be resolved without its participation. Thus, it is important to understand how the country is ruled and what the policy priorities are of the new leadership. Can China move to a more market-based economy, while controlling environmental degradation? Can it integrate hundreds of millions of new migrants into the urban landscape? The tensions between communist and capitalist identities continue to divide society as China searches for a path to modernization.
The People's Republic is now over sixty-five years old – an appropriate juncture at which to reassess the state of contemporary Chinese politics. In this substantially revised fourth edition and essential guide to the subject, Tony Saich delivers a thorough introduction to all aspects of politics and governance in post-Mao China, taking full account of the changes of the Eighteenth Party Congress and the Twelfth National People's Congress. Further, the rise of Xi Jinping to power and his policies are examined as are important policy areas such as urbanization and the fight against corruption.
- A comprehensively updated 4th edition of the leading text on Chinese politics?
- Written by a leading academic authority who has lived and worked in China and has real in-depth knowledge of life in both the cities and the provinces?
- Includes new chapters on the Xi Jinping/Li Keqiang leadership selected in 2012 and 2013 and the challenges for rural and urban communities
Preface to the Fourth edition
1. Diversity within Unity
2. Political History, 1949–2012
3. China's New Leaders and their Challenges, 2012-Present
4. The Chinese Communist Party
5. The Central Governing Apparatus
6. Governance Beyond the Centre
7. The Chinese State and Society
8. Urbanization and Urban-Rural Relations
9. Economic Policy
10. Social Policy
11. Foreign Policy
12. China's Future Challenges.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Custom University of Edinburgh Introduction to Politics and International Relations Bundle Stephen Hill
- Custom University of Edinburgh, International Cooperation in Europe and Beyond Bundle Patrick Theiner
- Comparative Political Economy Ben Clift
- Developments in French Politics 6 Helen Drake, Alistair Cole, Sophie Meunier, Vincent Tiberj
- Policies and Policy Processes of the European Union Laurie Buonanno, Neill Nugent
- Political Leadership Matthew Laing
- Understanding the European Union John McCormick
- The Afghanistan Wars William Maley
- Russian Government and Politics Eric Shiraev
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth