Europe is imbued with a multitude of social, cultural, economic and political meanings. The authors of this comprehensive text present an authoritative yet accessible introduction to understanding Europe today, moving beyond...Show More
Europe is imbued with a multitude of social, cultural, economic and political meanings. The authors of this comprehensive text present an authoritative yet accessible introduction to understanding Europe today, moving beyond accounts of European integration to provide a holistic and nuanced study of contemporary Europe and its historical development.
This book explores evolving definitions of Europe from antiquity, to the Cold War, right through to Europe in the midst of the Eurozone and global financial crises. By examining the different roles and meanings that Europe has held inside and outside of the continent, including the European Union's 'branding' of Europe, the text grounds its analysis in an understanding of Europes plural. Chapters explore concepts of Europe as civilization, Europe as progress, Europe as unity and Europe as diversity.
How do Europeans think of themselves and their respective national identities in a multicultural and multi-ethnic age? How has modernity and the pre- and post-industrial values of Europe affected the Europe of now and what are the political legacies of Europe? To what extent are notions of social solidarity shared across the continent? This is the first text to systematically answer these questions, and others, in order to better determine 'what is Europe?'
- An authoritative but accessible introduction to the question of defining Europe through its boundaries, politics, identity, history and values
- Examines the continent of Europe as an important entity in itself, as well as the relationship between states and other global actors
1. What is Europe? An Introduction
2. The Changing Shape of Europe
3. Visions of a United Europe
4. Cultural Europe
5. European Identity – European Identities
6. The Borders and Boundaries of Europe
7. Political Europe
8. The Social Dimension of Europe
9. Global Europe
10. Europe is.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Contemporary Ireland Eoin O'Malley
- Developments in European Politics 2 Erik Jones, Paul M. Heywood, M. Rhodes, Ulrich Sedelmeier
- Contemporary Europe Richard Sakwa, Anne Stevens
- Developments in French Politics 5 Alistair Cole, Sophie Meunier, Vincent Tiberj
- Modern Italy J. Foot
- The Politics of Pension Reform in Central and Eastern Europe O. Armeanu
- The Government and Politics of Spain Paul M. Heywood
- Gladstone E.F. Biagini
- History of The Arabs Philip K. Hitti
- European Communism Ronald Kowalski
- Contemporary France H. Drake
- Government and Politics of France Anne Stevens