Construction Technology 1: House Construction offers a highly accessible introduction to the key stages of domestic house construction from planning to internal finishes. Its student-friendly layout uses detailed figures,...Show More
Construction Technology 1: House Construction offers a highly accessible introduction to the key stages of domestic house construction from planning to internal finishes. Its student-friendly layout uses detailed figures, photos and case studies from real-life building sites to aid a practical understanding of construction techniques, providing clear step-by-step guidance in learning the basic principles of low-rise residential construction.
This textbook is a vital resource for students in construction, property and architecture, BSc and MSc, including any student taking courses in building surveying, quantity surveying, real estate and construction management, as well as those studying at the HNC/HND level.Show Less
- A clear and accessible text structure for ease of use, with each chapter including definitions of key terms, review tasks and reflective summaries
- A wealth of case studies drawn from real-life building sites
- Comparative tables that allow critical evaluation of different build details or design solutions
- The sections on off-site manufacture and modular approaches to construction have been significantly updated and expanded. The nature of house construction utilising panelised and volumetric approaches is explained with supporting case study examples and photographic illustrations.
- The increased recognition of sustainability as a key element in modern house building is reflected in expanded consideration of the environmental implications of construction design and practice.
- The characteristics of house form, construction and technology that impact upon thermal and environmental performance are included together with updated content relating to SAP calculations and target energy performance.
- Advances in technology and evolving approaches to passive features of environmentally-conscious design are incorporated together with the introduction of issues around connected homes.
- The material has been amended in line with current UK building regulations, environmental guidance and legislation including statutory control of the building process and health and safety.
1. Functions of buildings
2. Preparing to build 3
The building process
PART II: BUILDING SUBSTRUCTURE
5. Walls below ground
6. Ground floors
PART III: BUILDING SUPERSTRUCTURE
7. External walls
8. Upper floors and stairs
9. Internal division of space: walls and partitions
10. Roof: structures and coverings
11. Windows, doors and ventilation
12. Internal finishes
13. Overview of alternative sustainable construction methods.
- Companion website containing outline answers for the reviews tasks from each of the book's chapters
- Also includes over 10 case studies covering various building processes related to those covered in the book. These offer step-by-step images and explanations which provide further detail and contextual understanding of construction methods
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Introduction to Logic Circuits & Logic Design with Verilog Brock J. LaMeres
- Quick Start Guide to Verilog Brock J. LaMeres
- Introduction to Logic Circuits & Logic Design with VHDL Brock J. LaMeres
- Astronautics Ulrich Walter
- Fundamentals of Computer Architecture and Design Ahmet Bindal
- Microstates, Entropy and Quanta Don Koks
- Quick Start Guide to VHDL Brock J. LaMeres
- Structural Dynamics Mario Paz, Young Hoon Kim
- Internet of Things From Hype to Reality Ammar Rayes, Samer Salam
- Analysis for Computer Scientists Michael Oberguggenberger, Alexander Ostermann
- Basic Concepts of Data and Error Analysis Panayiotis Nicos Kaloyerou
- Fundamentals of Solid State Engineering Manijeh Razeghi
- Construction Technology 1: House Construction Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Major Infrastructure Projects Edward Ochieng, Andrew Price, David Moore
- Fundamentals of Structural Engineering Jerome J. Connor, Susan Faraji
- Fundamentals of Optimization Mark French
- Introduction to Engineering Materials Vernon John
- Construction Technology 3 Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Building Maintenance Ivor H. Seeley
- Mechanics of Materials Parviz Ghavami
- Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine N. Watson, M.S. Janota
- Management of Global Construction Projects Edward Ochieng, Andrew Price, David Moore
- Building Economics Ivor H. Seeley
- Construction Marketing Richard Pettinger