Across the range of social care, health and welfare professions, it is essential that students and practitioners engage meaningfully with the communities and service users they work with. This book offers a timely and...Show More
Across the range of social care, health and welfare professions, it is essential that students and practitioners engage meaningfully with the communities and service users they work with. This book offers a timely and practical guide to the methods and skills related to forming and developing such partnerships.
Helping both aspiring and experienced practitioners to empower communities and service users, this book:
• Explores how the developing roles of communities and service users influence policy, services and practice.
• Highlights the different ethical, power and boundary tensions when working with communities and service users and suggests ways to overcome them.
• Provides examples, case studies, activities and useful resources which help illustrate ways and methods of empowering people and enabling their voices to be heard.
An accessible and wide-ranging book, Engaging Communities and Service Users is a must have text for students and practitioners in social care, health and welfare.
Readerfriendly approach with activities throughout
Use of practice examples that challenge theory and encourage reflective thinking and questioning
Valuable as an applied text for students and practitioners across fields of social care, health and welfare
PART I: CONTEXT
1. Engaging with Communities and Service Users: Introduction and Definitions
2. The Policy Context
PART II: THEMES
3. Encouraging Association
4. Activating Citizenship
5. Releasing Capacity
6. Exploring Boundaries
PART III: METHODS
7. Supporting Engagement through Advocacy and Mentoring
8. Learning through Conversations
9. Evaluating Engagement and Participation
10. Emergent Landscapes.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Safeguarding Adults Alison Brammer
- Social Work with Adults Martin Davies
- Empowerment in Action Audrey Mullender, Dave Ward, Jennie Fleming
- Engaging Communities and Service Users Billie Oliver, Bob Pitt
- Communities and Caring Marjorie Mayo
- Comparative Housing Policy John Doling
- The Body in Health and Social Care Julia Twigg
- Safeguarding Adults Gillian MacIntyre, Ailsa Stewart, Pearse McCusker
- Safeguarding Adults and Children Georgina Koubel
- Social and Community Development John Eversley
- Community Development, Social Action and Social Planning Alan Twelvetrees
- Community Work Alan Twelvetrees