This broad and accessible text examines one of the most crucial issues facing western governments today: how to raise sufficient funds to meet the rising aspirations of their electorate for more and better welfare services....Show More
This broad and accessible text examines one of the most crucial issues facing western governments today: how to raise sufficient funds to meet the rising aspirations of their electorate for more and better welfare services. Looking at seven European countries representing different policy traditions, government ideologies and levels of economic affluence, it discusses health, social security, housing, personal social services and education policies against a background of economic, demographic and familial change.Show Less
List of Tables
List of Contributors
The Future of the Welfare State; V. George Germany: Maintaining the Middle Way
R. Lawson France: Squaring the Welfare Triangle
L. Hantrais Sweden: The Last Bastion of Social Democracy
A. Gould The United Kingdom: Radical Departures and Political Consensus
P. Taylor-Gooby Italy: Right Turn for the Welfare State?
M. Niero Greece: What Future the Welfare State?
P. Stathopoulos Spain: Growth to Diversity
E. Almeda & S. Sarasa The Demand for Welfare
V. George The Response of Government: Fragile Convergence?
P. Taylor-Gooby Index.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Sociology of the European Union Adrian Favell, Virginie Guiraudon
- Theorizing Power Jonathan S. Hearn
- Theorizing European Societies Marinus Ossewaarde
- Europe in a Global Context A. Krossa
- Sport Politics Jonathan Grix
- The Age of Migration Stephen Castles, Hein de Haas, Mark J. Miller
- Social Movements and Globalization Cristina Flesher Fominaya
- Fascism Martin Kitchen
- Power Steven Lukes
- European Welfare Policy Vic George, Peter Taylor-Gooby
- Citizenship and Democracy in a Global Era Andrew Vandenberg
- The Information State in England Edward Higgs