This book is a gentle and sympathetic introduction to many of the problems of scientific computing, and the wide variety of methods used for their solutions. It is ideal for students taking a first course in numerical...
This book is a gentle and sympathetic introduction to many of the problems of scientific computing, and the wide variety of methods used for their solutions. It is ideal for students taking a first course in numerical mathematics who need a low level entry to the subject. It gives an appreciation of the need for numerical methods for the solution of different types of problem, and discusses basic approaches. For each of the problems, at least some mathematical justification and examples provide both practical evidence and motivations for the reader to follow. Practical justification of the methods is presented through computer examples and exercises. The book also includes an introduction to MATLAB, but the code used is not intended to exemplify sophisticated or robust pieces of software; it is purely illustrative of the methods under discussion.
Includes appendix covering MATLAB basics
Class tested at the University of Maryland, the US Naval Academy and the University of Lancaster
No prior mathematical knowledge assumed
Number Representations and Errors
Iterative Solution of Equations
Approximate Evaluation of Functions
Answers to Exercises.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Surveying for Engineers John Uren, Bill Price
- Construction Technology 1: House Construction Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Engineering Mathematics Through Applications Kuldeep Singh
- Understanding Structures Derek Seward
- Environmental Science in Building Randall McMullan
- Structural Mechanics: Worked Examples R. Hulse, Jack Cain
- Reinforced Concrete Design W.H. Mosley, R. Hulse, J.H Bungey
- Construction Contract Law John Adriaanse
- Race Car Design Derek Seward
- Construction Technology 2: Industrial and Commercial Building Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Soil Mechanics G.E. Barnes
- Seeley and Winfield's Building Quantities Explained: Irish Edition Ivor H. Seeley, Alan V. Hore, Maria O'Kelly, Roger Winfield, Rita Scully