This special 35th anniversary edition contains the original, unchanged text that inspired a generation, alongside two new chapters that explore the book's continued significance for today's readers. The Preface provides a...Show More
This special 35th anniversary edition contains the original, unchanged text that inspired a generation, alongside two new chapters that explore the book's continued significance for today's readers. The Preface provides a brief retrospective account of the book's original structure, the rich ethnographic, intellectual and theoretical work that informed it, and the historical context in which it appeared. In the new Afterword, each of the authors takes up a specific theme from the original book and interrogates it in the light of current crises, perspectives and contexts.Show Less
Original book is a landmark, disciplineshaping text in the Social Sciences
New preface and a new reflective Afterword show how debates of the first edition are relevant to timely policing, media and social issues
Preface to the Second Edition
Introduction to the First Edition
The Social History of a Moral Panic
The Origins of Social Control
The Social Production of News
Balancing Accounts: Cashing in on Handsworth
Orchestrating Public Opinion
Explanations and Ideologies of crime
Crime, Law and the State
The Law-and-Order Society: the Exhaustion of 'Consent'
The Law-and-Order Society: Towards the 'Exceptional State'
The Politics of 'Mugging'
Conclusion to the Second Edition: Reflections and new considerations.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Hooligan Geoffrey Pearson
- Understanding the Risk Society Gabriel Mythen
- Policing the Crisis Stuart Hall, Chas Critcher, Tony Jefferson, John Clarke, Brian Roberts
- The Criminology and Criminal Justice Companion Sue Robinson, Tracy Cussen
- Why Punish? Rob Canton
- Penology Karen Harrison
- Alternative Energy Sources Efstathios E (Stathis) Michaelides
- The Innocent and the Criminal Justice System Michael Naughton
- Our Violent World Kevin McDonald
- Researching Crime Chris Crowther-Dowey, Peter Fussey
- Crime and Social Theory Eamonn Carrabine
- Crime and the Media Sarah E.H. Moore