The second edition of this popular textbook provides a systematic and comprehensive introduction to UK party politics, combining chapters on each of the main parties (Conservative, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the...Show More
The second edition of this popular textbook provides a systematic and comprehensive introduction to UK party politics, combining chapters on each of the main parties (Conservative, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party) with an assessment of post-devolution Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Clark analyses the extraordinary recent developments in UK politics, including Brexit, the 2015 and 2016 Labour leadership contests, and the surprise 2017 general election, exploring how these events have impacted the political parties, the people of the UK and the UK’s position in the world. The book also covers the rise of minority parties such as UKIP, the influence of the media and party campaigning, organisation and funding. Written in an accessible style, this new edition is an essential companion for students taking modules on British Political Parties, Party Politics or British Politics more generally, as well as functioning as a useful background text for modules in Comparative Political Parties. It is an ideal introduction for all readers new to the topic.Show Less
- Dedicated chapters on the Conservative and Labour parties, the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party
- Extensive coverage of party politics beyond Westminster, including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- A new chapter on the Scottish National Party takes account of their rise, their role as a governing party in Scotland, and becoming the third largest party at Westminster.
- Up-to-date coverage of all the latest developments affecting UK political parties including the Scottish referendum, the 2015 and 2017 general elections, the 2016 devolved elections and Brexit.
- Extended coverage of the rise and fall of UKIP.
1. Introduction: The Development of the UK Party System
2. The Role of Political Parties in the UK
3. The Conservative Party
4. The Labour Party
5. The Liberal Democrats 6. The Scottish National Party
7. Beyond the Mainstream
8. The UK's 'Multi-Level' Party Systems
9. Parties and the Media
10. Developments in Party Organisation and Funding
11. Party Campaigns and Elections
12. Conclusion: Political Parties in the UK.