This textbook presents overviews of 12 landmark studies in psychology from diverse areas of research such as consciousness, developmental psychology, learning, memory, social psychology and psychopathology. Through a range...
This textbook presents overviews of 12 landmark studies in psychology from diverse areas of research such as consciousness, developmental psychology, learning, memory, social psychology and psychopathology. Through a range of critical thinking exercises and reflective questions, students can evaluate the methodology and impact of these classic studies and quickly hone their analytical and critical thinking skills.
Accessible, clearly-structured and written with undergraduate students in mind, this book will make essential reading for any psychology course.Show Less
Through structured tasks and activities gives students a thorough grounding in critical thinking skills
? Covers the core curriculum areas of psychology from Social and Developmental through to Cognitive and Neuroscience? Accessible and affordable - perfect for first year students
? Perfect for exam preparation or essays
1. Introduction to Critical Thinking
2. John Watson and the 'Little Albert' Study: how to create a phobia?
3. The Nurture Assumption: Does Parental Influence during childhood offer the greatest impact on personality development?
4.The Obedience Studies: Ordinary People and Extraordinary Evil?
5.On Being Sane in Insane Places: Pseudopatients or Pseudoscience?
6. The Stanford Prison Study: Are Ordinary People Capable of Extraordinary Cruelty?
7. Media Research: Is Violent Media Making Us More Aggressive?
8. Recovered Memories: Do We Dare Trust Them?
9. The psi Studies: Psychological Science versus Pseudoscience
10. The Ethics of Caring about Human Beings
11.Benjamin Libet: Do Human Beings Really Have Free Will?
12. The Placebo Effect: How Do Antidepressants Work?
13. The Enriched Environment Studies: A Neuroscientific Case for Early Learning?.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Health Psychology Richard Straub
- Knowing Oneself: Attachment and the therapeutic alliance in Psychotherapy and Counselling Yusmarhaini Yusof
- Psychology Bruce M. Hood
- Solution-Focused Practice Guy Shennan
- Understanding Statistics and Experimental Design Michael Herzog, Gregory Francis, Aaron Clarke
- Experiencing the Lifespan Janet Belsky
- Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology Ronald J. Comer
- An Introduction to Brain and Behavior Bryan Kolb, Ian Whishaw, G Campbell Teskey
- Psychology of Sex and Gender Susan Burns
- Childhood and Society Michael Wyness
- Discovering the Scientist Within Gary Lewandowski, Natalie Ciarocco, David Stromhetz
- Advanced Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences Jonathon D. Brown
- Essentials of Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences Susan Nolan, Thomas Heinzen
- Making Sense of Data and Statistics in Psychology Gerry Mulhern, Brian Greer
- Statistics in Psychology Stephen Jones
- Research Methods and Statistics Ian Walker
- Serious Stat Thom Baguley
- Online Research Methods for Psychologists Neil Coulson
- The Psychology Thesis Thomas R. Smyth
- Practitioner Research in Counselling and Psychotherapy Liz Bondi, Judith Fewell
- Practising Research Nollaig Frost
- Introducing Quantitative Methods Daniela Aidley
- SPSS for Psychologists Nicola Brace, Rosemary Snelgar, Richard Kemp
- Revisiting Psychology Jared M. Bartels, William E Herman