Unlock your students’ potential with Smart Thinking, a step-by-step guide to generating ideas, thinking creatively and conceptually and making decisions. The book begins by explaining what smart thinking is and how it...Show More
Unlock your students’ potential with Smart Thinking, a step-by-step guide to generating ideas, thinking creatively and conceptually and making decisions. The book begins by explaining what smart thinking is and how it develops the skills that today’s employers covet. Part 1 unwraps the mysteries of conceptual thinking, with chapters on how to create new concepts and analyse existing ones, while Part 2 shows students how to release their creative potential and devise original solutions to complex problems. Finally, Part 3 shows students how to assess their ideas and solutions and come to a rational, objective decision. Chapters are packed with examples, top tips and ‘try this’ activities for students to put their thinking skills to the test.
Smart Thinking will be an indispensable companion for students of all levels and disciplines who want to sharpen their thinking and improve the way they study.Show Less
- Shows students how to generate their own ideas, think conceptually, design solutions to the most difficult problems, play devil's advocate and make their own decisions
- Includes a wealth of practical activities and examples to help readers put the ideas and techniques into practice
- Written by Bryan Greetham, bestselling author of How to Write Better Essays and How to Write Your Undergraduate Dissertation
1. How Good Are We At Thinking?
2. What Is Smart Thinking?
PART I: CONCEPTUAL THINKING
3. What Is Conceptual Thinking?
4. Creating Concepts
5. Analysing Concepts
6. Synthesising Ideas
7. How Will This Improve My Academic Work?
8. How Will This Improve My Employability?
PART II: CREATIVE THINKING
9. What Is A Creative Thinker?
10. How To Generate Your Own Ideas
11. Structuring Your Ideas – Causal And Conceptual Relations
12. Designing Solutions To Problems 1: Using Analogies
13. Designing Solutions To Problems 2: Adapting Your Structures
14. How Will This Improve My Academic Work?
15. How Will This Improve My Employability?
PART III: MAKING DECISIONS
16. What Makes A Good Decision-Maker?
17. Making A Good Decision – The Seven Stages
18. Assessing Risk: Decision-Making Under Uncertainty
19. How Will This Improve My Academic Work?
20. How Will This Improve My Employability?
- Multiple choice quizzes on topics such as logic, verbal reasoning and open and closed concepts
- Exercises on synthesising ideas, structuring ideas, assessing risk and much more
Access the resources here: https://www.macmillanihe.com/companion/Greetham-Smart-Thinking/
This accessible and cleverly designed book will give all students the tools to sharpen their thinking, generate new insights, and be more creative. (Nicholas Jackson, University of Leeds, UK)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Planning Your Essay Janet Godwin
- Rules for Writers Diana Hacker, Nancy Sommers
- 50 Ways to Manage Stress Stella Cottrell
- 50 Ways to Boost Your Grades Stella Cottrell
- 50 Ways to Manage Time Effectively Stella Cottrell
- 50 Ways to Excel at Writing Stella Cottrell
- 50 Ways to Boost Your Employability Stella Cottrell
- The Macmillan Student Planner 2019-20 Stella Cottrell
- The Macmillan Academic Wall Planner 2019-20 Macmillan Study Skills
- Your College Experience Concise John Gardner, Betsy Barefoot
- Cite Them Right Richard Pears, Graham Shields
- Understanding Statistics and Experimental Design Michael Herzog, Gregory Francis, Aaron Clarke
- The PhD Viva Peter Smith
- Studying for a Degree Sheila Dunleavy
- How to Study a Poet John Peck
- The Study Abroad Handbook Anna Lidstone, Caroline Rueckert
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Writing for Law Dave Powell, Emma Teare
- Understanding the International Student Experience Catherine Montgomery
- Success in Groupwork Peter Hartley, Mark Dawson
- Writing for Nursing and Midwifery Students Julio Gimenez
- The Mature Student's Guide to Writing Jean Rose
- Success in Academic Writing Trevor Day
- Write it Right John Peck, Martin Coyle