Truly global in scope and ambition, the 21st Century Public Manager addresses key trends, challenges, and opportunities facing public managers across contexts and regimes. This accessible textbook aims to inspire public...Show More
Truly global in scope and ambition, the 21st Century Public Manager addresses key trends, challenges, and opportunities facing public managers across contexts and regimes. This accessible textbook aims to inspire public managers in rethinking their roles, skills, and values as they enter a VUCA world—one characterized by volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity. It is written for aspiring and current public managers in graduate schools and executive education programs.Show Less
- Truly international in scope with many examples of issues and practices from different contexts and types of organizations from around the world.
- Essential reading for all current and would be human resource management specialists in public organizations.
- But the strategic approach taken also makes this an ideal text on human resource issues for non HRM specialists.
2. 'Traditional' versus 'New
3. Trends and Drivers
4. Demands, Dilemmas, Opportunities
5. Managing Stakeholder Multiplicity
6. Managing Authority Turbulence
7. Managing the New Work (Force)
8. Managing Innovation Forces
9. Managing Ethical Complexities
10. Managing Long versus Short Time Horizons
11. Managing Cross-Sectoral Collaboration
12. The 21st Century Public Manager.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Community Care Robin Means, Sally Richards, Randall Smith
- Public Policy in the Community Marilyn Taylor
- Local Government in the United Kingdom David Wilson, Chris Game
- Comparative Public Policy Anneliese Dodds
- Health Policy in Britain Christopher Ham
- Public Management in the United Kingdom June Burnham, Sylvia Horton
- Local Democracy and Local Government Lawrence Pratchett, David Wilson
- Housing Finance in the UK Kenneth Gibb, Moira Munro, Madhu Satsangi
- Decentralising Public Service Management Johnston Birchall, Keith Putman, Christopher Pollitt
- Housing Policy and Practice Peter Malpass, Alan Murie
- Public Management in Britain David Farnham, Sylvia Horton
- The Public Management and Modernisation in Britain A. Massey, Robert Pyper