In this fascinating study, Mark Gallagher explores the dynamics of media stardom in Hong Kong, mainland China and the East Asian region. This includes the importance of television series for training and promotion; the...Show More
In this fascinating study, Mark Gallagher explores the dynamics of media stardom in Hong Kong, mainland China and the East Asian region. This includes the importance of television series for training and promotion; the phenomenon of regional, transmedia stardom across popular entertainment genres; and cultural and political considerations as performers move among different Asian production environments. Attentive to Leung’s positions in both East Asian and global screen cultures, this book illuminates challenges and opportunities for Chinese screen actors in local, regional and global contexts.
This unique study is an ideal resource for undergraduate students of Film and Media Studies taking courses in Chinese Cinema, Asian Cinema, or Transnational cinema, as well as anyone with an interest in Tony Leung-Chiu Wai's prolific career.
- Comprehensive and diverse
- Illustrated with film stills throughout
- Explores how Leung is variously represented in a diversity of cultural contexts, ranging from his reputation as a popular TV and cinema actor in Hong Kong to his image as an art-cinema virtuoso in Europe and the United States
- Analyzes the star's success in films such as Lust, Caution, Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love
- Studies Leung's collaborations with different Sinophone directors such as Ang Lee, Wong Kar-wai and Hou Hsiao-hsien
- Traces the specific dynamics of stardom in Hong Kong, mainland China and the East Asian region
- Examines the reception of star performance as it moves beyond indigenous cultural, industrial and linguistic contexts
Acknowledgements.- Introduction.- 1: How to Act Sexy
2. 1980s Hong Kong Television and Early Film Efforts
3. Pan-Asian and Global Art-Cinema Stardom.- 4: Tony Leung and Genre Stardom.- 5: The Mainlanding of Tony Leung Chiu-Wai.- Conclusion.- Notes.- Bibliography.- Filmography.- Index.