Profound social changes have made governance and political leadership more challenging than ever. The result is that politics in the democratic world faces a crisis in the 21st century. The revised edition of this highly...Show More
Profound social changes have made governance and political leadership more challenging than ever. The result is that politics in the democratic world faces a crisis in the 21st century. The revised edition of this highly successful text reassesses the gap between citizen expectation and the realities of government in light of new developments.Show Less
An accessible introduction to politics and policy that will appeal to undergraduate students on a wide range of politics courses.
Written by a highlyregarded expert in the field with a wealth of experience writing educational materials.
Broadranging in its coverage of global democracies, with strong theoretical analysis of contemporary political leadership issues.
PART ONE MASS DEMOCRACY: TRIUMPH AND DISAPPOINTMENT
1. The Triumph of Democracy?
2. Global Dissatisfaction with Politics
3. Explanations for Political Disenchantment
4. The Politics of Mass Democracies: Designed-In Disappointment?
PART TWO THE PATHOLOGIES OF POLITICAL PRACTICE
5. The Decline of Citizen Engagement?
6. The Professionalization of Activism and Multi-Speed Activism
7. The Dangers of Cynicism
8. The Perils of Populism
PART THREE SEARCHING FOR SOLUTIONS
9. Politics for Amateurs
10. Reviving Political Institutions
11. Creating a New Civic Arena
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Social Movements in a Globalized World Cristina Flesher Fominaya
- European Union Politics John McCormick
- International Relations of East Asia Xiaoming Huang
- The Political Economy of Work in the Global South Anita Hammer, Adam Fishwick
- Understanding Public Policy Paul Cairney
- The Age of Migration Hein de Haas, Stephen Castles, Mark J. Miller
- Governance, Politics and the State Jon Pierre, B Guy Peters
- Doing Feminist Research in Political and Social Science Brooke A. Ackerly, Jacqui True
- Analyzing Foreign Policy Derek Beach, Rasmus Pedersen
- Game Theory Jose Luis Ferreira
- Cases in Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick
- Public Finance Public Policy Jonathan Gruber
- Elections and Voters Martin Harrop, William L. Miller
- Why Politics Matters Gerry Stoker
- Political Leadership in Liberal Democracies Robert Elgie
- The Politics of Inequality Carsten Jensen, C. J. van Kersbergen
- The Nature and Development of the Modern State Graeme Gill
- Democratization Jean Grugel, Matthew Louis Bishop
- Strategies for Comparative Research in Political Science B. Guy Peters
- Electoral Systems David Farrell
- Elections and Voters Cees Van der Eijk, Mark N. Franklin
- The Politics and IR Companion Robert Leach, Simon Lightfoot
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- The State, Democracy and Globalization Roger King, Gavin Kendall