A long-standing, best-selling, comprehensive textbook covering all the mathematics required on upper level engineering mathematics undergraduate courses. Its unique approach takes you through all the mathematics you...Show More
A long-standing, best-selling, comprehensive textbook covering all the mathematics required on upper level engineering mathematics undergraduate courses. Its unique approach takes you through all the mathematics you need in a step-by-step fashion with a wealth of examples and exercises. The text demands that you engage with it by asking you to complete steps that you should be able to manage from previous examples or knowledge you have acquired, while carefully introducing new steps. By working with the authors through the examples, you become proficient as you go. By the time you come to trying examples on their own, confidence is high.
Suitable for undergraduates in second and third year courses on engineering and science degrees.
- A unique technique-oriented approach takes the student through the mathematics in a highly accessible fashion
- Hundreds of worked examples and progressively more challenging exercises allow students plenty of practice to build experience and confidence.
- Revision Summaries, Test Exercises and Further Problems enable students to check their progress
- Comprehensive coverage of all topics required by undergraduates taking Engineering and Science degree courses
- Ideal for course use or for self-study
- Improved presentation of various elements in Introduction to invariant linear systems, in Power series solutions of ordinary differential equations, and in Systems of ordinary differential equations
- Major addition of four new Programmes: Direction fields, Phase plane analysis, Non-linear systems and Dynamical systems.
- Full use of computer software to optimize objective functions in Optimization and linear programming
- PowerPoint slides for lecturers available online
Useful Background Information
Numerical Solutions of Equations and Interpolation
Laplace Transforms Part 1
Laplace Transforms Part 2
Laplace Transforms Part 3
Difference Equations and the Z Transform
Introduction to Invariant Linear Systems
Fourier Series 1
Fourier Series 2
Introduction to the Fourier Transform
Power Series Solutions of Ordinary Differential Equations 1
Power Series Solutions of Ordinary Differential Equations 2
Power Series Solutions of Ordinary Differential Equations 3
Numerical Solutions of Ordinary Differential Equations
Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations
Phase Plane Analysis
Partial Differential Equations
Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations
Multiple Integration Part 1
Multiple Integration Part 2
Vector Analysis Part 1
Vector Analysis Part 2
Vector Analysis Part 3
Complex Analysis Part 1
Complex Analysis Part 2
Complex Analysis Part 3
Optimization and Linear Programming.
Students say: Quite simply absolutely excellent!
All you could want in a maths textbook.
Stroud does not “assume”, he teaches.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Surveying for Engineers John Uren, Bill Price
- Foundation Mathematics K.A. Stroud, Dexter Booth
- Construction Technology 1: House Construction Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Engineering Mathematics Through Applications Kuldeep Singh
- Understanding Structures Derek Seward
- Environmental Science in Building Randall McMullan
- Structural Mechanics: Worked Examples R. Hulse, Jack Cain
- Reinforced Concrete Design W.H. Mosley, R. Hulse, J.H Bungey
- Construction Contract Law John Adriaanse
- Race Car Design Derek Seward
- Construction Technology 2: Industrial and Commercial Building Mike Riley, Alison Cotgrave
- Soil Mechanics G.E. Barnes