This practical book will equip students with the critical thinking, reading and writing skills required to succeed both on their course and in their professional placements. It takes readers through the core stages of...Show More
This practical book will equip students with the critical thinking, reading and writing skills required to succeed both on their course and in their professional placements. It takes readers through the core stages of working on an assignment, from finding and evaluating sources through to critically reading material and demonstrating critical analysis in their writing. With chapters featuring content-specific examples and engaging exercises, this book is an essential resource for undergraduate students of Nursing, Health, Social Care and related disciplines.Show Less
Practice exercises which cater to students' specific needs
Relevant, content-specific examplesPractical guidance on developing a critical voice for a wide range of assignment tasks
Systematic approach in which topics are addressed in the order expected over the course of university studyOrganised around four key aspects which are based upon researcher expertise
1. What is critical thinking?
2. What is academic writing?
3. How do you get started on assessments? Using a 5-step process to begin thinking critically
4. How do you read with a critical eye?
5. How do you use evidence? Building a logical system to organise and critically analyse sources
6. How do you refer to the evidence effectively in your writing?
7. How do you put it all together? Building logical academic paragraphs that demonstrate a critical voice
8. How can you apply critical thinking to write reflections and develop life-long learning behaviours?
9. How can you demonstrate critical thinking and effective communication on placement?
This highly practical book shows students how to read critically, apply theory to practice and improve the structure and flow of their writing. I recommend this book to nursing students. – Julie Jackson, University of Huddersfield, UK
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- The Work-Based Learning Student Handbook Ruth Helyer, Tony Wall, Ann Minton, Amy Lund
- Ace Your Exam Andrew Northedge
- Becoming a Critical Thinker Sandra Egege
- Brilliant Essays Ursula Hackett
- How to Write Your Literature Review Bryan Greetham
- Ethics and Values in Social Work Sarah Banks
- Anti-Discriminatory Practice Neil Thompson
- Maximizing the Impacts of Academic Research Patrick Dunleavy, Jane Tinkler
- Be Well, Learn Well Gareth Hughes
- The Reflective Journal Barbara Bassot
- Critical Thinking Skills Stella Cottrell
- Getting Critical Kate Williams
- Reading and Making Notes Jeanne Godfrey
- Dissertations and Project Reports Stella Cottrell
- Writing for University Jeanne Godfrey
- Referencing and Understanding Plagiarism Kate Williams, Mary Davis
- Skills for Success Stella Cottrell
- The Study Skills Handbook Stella Cottrell
- How to Write Better Essays Bryan Greetham
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Report Writing Michelle Reid
- 14 Days to Exam Success Lucinda Becker