Did you know that:
- the thirteen colonies which became the USA were not the most valuable British possessions in America?
- Georgia was not the thirteenth but the fourteenth British colony in North America?
- despite the...
Did you know that:- the thirteen colonies which became the USA were not the most valuable British possessions in America?- Georgia was not the thirteenth but the fourteenth British colony in North America?- despite the claims in the Declaration of Independence, George III was not a tyrant?Information on these facts, and many many more, can be found in this fascinating and helpful A-Z guide. Colonial America's key events and personalities - from the first expedition to Roanoke Island in 1584 to the conclusion of the War of Independence - are readily accessible in this invaluable dictionary. Mary K. Geiter and W. A. Speck set the thirteen colonies which became the United States in an Atlantic context, dealing not only with the thirteen but also with Britain's other colonies in North America and the West Indies. The imperial connection is stressed too with entries on British monarchs and politicians, admirals and generals, Acts of Parliament and European wars which impacted on the American colonies. Also featuring a Select Bibliography and full Chronology to aid learning, this wide-ranging, clear and authoritative text is an essential reference for students, scholars and anyone with an interest in British America.Show Less
A helpful resource for students of colonial American history which adopts an approachable short entry format
Offers Atlantic context providing entries for relevant information in Britain as well as America
Includes a useful Chronology and a Select Bibliography to aid further study
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Mastering Modern United States History John Traynor
- Technology in America Alan I. Marcus, Howard P. Segal
- Dictionary of British America, 1584-1783 Mary Geiter, William Speck
- Anglo-American Relations in the Twentieth Century R. Ovendale
- America and the World since 1945 T.G. Fraser, Donette Murray
- The Scientific Revolution and the Origins of Modern Science John Henry
- Queenship in Early Modern Europe Charles Beem
- Enlightened Absolutism H.M. Scott
- Resistance and Collaboration in Hitler's Empire Vesna Drapac, Gareth Pritchard
- A History of the Baltic States Andres Kasekamp
- Allied Medicine in the Great War Jennifer S. Lawrence
- A History of Greece J.B. Bury, Russell Meiggs