The new fifth edition of this leading textbook provides a clear and comprehensive account of governance and politics in the Netherlands. The book has been revised throughout to provide full coverage of recent developments...Show More
The new fifth edition of this leading textbook provides a clear and comprehensive account of governance and politics in the Netherlands. The book has been revised throughout to provide full coverage of recent developments and events, including the latest proposals for constitutional reform.The Netherlands has often been characterized as a place of political calm, with a culture of cooperation and compromise in dealing with key political issues. Now, at a time when climate change and immigration are high on the political agenda, the electorate is growing ever more unpredictable and political fragmentation makes forming majority coalitions increasingly difficult, it is vital to question how the Dutch system will continue to achieve consensus. With this in mind, the authors take a comparative and analytical approach as they examine the features of the country’s political system that have long made it a subject of study for political scientists.
Governance and Politics of the Netherlands provides both students and scholars with a complete and reliable introduction to a country whose small size belies its importance in comparative political analysis.
- The only textbook offering a comprehensive overview of the Dutch political system.
- Comparative and analytical perspective encourages critical, evaluative thinking.
- Suitable for both students and scholars.
- Extensive use of tables and figures illuminates key data.
- Fully revised and updated throughout to reflect the latest developments, events and issues.
- Cites the most recent data sources (e.g. national election study and parliamentary study).
- Discusses latest proposals for constitutional reform.
1. The Country, the Nation, and the State
2. A Country of Minorities
3. Political Parties and the Party System
5. The Core Executive
7. The Policy-Making Process
8. Multi-Level Governance
9. Economic and Welfare Policy
10. Foreign Policy
11. Evaluating Consensus Government.
This is the book that has taught me everything I have needed to know about politics and governance in the Netherlands and kept me fully informed about the latest developments with every new edition. This fifth edition offers accessible and sharp insights into the historical and present-day politics of this intriguing country. – Kris Deschouwer, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
Rich, multifaceted and up-to-date. Highly recommended for students and scholars who want to get acquainted with Dutch democracy. – Tom van der Meer, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- American Government: Stories of a Nation Scott Abernathy
- Developments in French Politics 6 Helen Drake, Alistair Cole, Sophie Meunier, Vincent Tiberj
- Political Leadership Matthew Laing
- Policies and Policy Processes of the European Union Laurie Buonanno, Neill Nugent
- Understanding the European Union John McCormick
- The Afghanistan Wars William Maley
- Russian Government and Politics Eric Shiraev
- Governance and Politics of the Netherlands Rudy B. Andeweg, Galen A. Irwin, Tom Louwerse
- Teacher's Edition for American Government: Stories of a Nation Scott Abernathy
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth