This textbook is an ambitious and engaging introduction to the more advanced writings on Jurisprudence, primarily designed to allow students to ‘get under the skin’ of the topic and begin to build their critical thinking and...Show More
This textbook is an ambitious and engaging introduction to the more advanced writings on Jurisprudence, primarily designed to allow students to ‘get under the skin’ of the topic and begin to build their critical thinking and analysis skills. Each chapter is structured around key questions and debates that provoke deeper thought and, ultimately, a clearer understanding. The aim of the book is therefore not to present a complete overview of theoretical issues in Jurisprudence, but rather to illustrate the current debates which are currently going on among those working in shaping the area. The text features summaries of the views of notable experts on key topics and each chapter ends with a list of guided further reading.
A perfect book for students taking a module in jurisprudence, or for those wanting to deepen their knowledge.
- Features helpful summaries of the views of notable experts on key topics
- Each chapter ends with a list of guided further reading to provoke further thought and discussion
- Fact boxes present useful hypothetical examples to illustrate when and where the debates discussed would have relevant application
- New debates on the nature and legitimacy of global justice, and the binding force of precedent.
- Incorporates discussion of new contributions to jurisprudential writing by Mark Greenberg, Scott Hershowitz, David Howarth and Shona Stark, Matthew Kramer, Frederick Schauer, and Jeremy Waldron.
- Includes substantially revised chapters on 'The nature of jurisprudence' and 'Morality and rights'
2. The Normativity of Law
3. The Rule of Recognition
4. The Morality of Legality
5. Natural Law
6. Adjudication and Interpretation
7. The Obligation to Obey the Law
8. Morality and Rights
10. The Enforcement of Morality
11. The Value of Studying Jurisprudence.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Great Debates in Jurisprudence Nicholas J McBride, Sandy Steel
- Contract Law Ewan McKendrick
- Great Debates in Medical Law and Ethics Imogen Goold, Jonathan Herring
- Trusts Law Charlie Webb, Tim Akkouh
- Corporate Governance Marc Moore, Martin Petrin
- A Student Guide to Clinical Legal Education and Pro Bono Kevin Kerrigan, Victoria Murray
- Great Debates in Family Law Jonathan Herring, Rebecca Probert, Stephen Gilmore
- Great Debates in Gender and Law Rosemary Auchmuty
- Criminal Law Jonathan Herring
- Making Sense of Land Law April Stroud
- Great Debates on the European Convention on Human Rights Fiona de Londras, Kanstantsin Dzehtsiarou
- Torts Alastair Mullis, Ken Oliphant