What are the processes that lead to illness and, inversely, to health and wellness? How can healthcare systems be improved to help prevent and manage illness? What are the primary political and lifestyle factors that can contribute to the promotion of public health and wellbeing? Part of the Palgrave Insights in Psychology series, this straight-forward text provides a well-rounded introduction to the topic of health psychology and delivers an overview of the key issues within the discipline. Readers can expect to learn about the various sub-disciplines that comprise this interdisciplinary area of psychology such as sociology, medicine and politics. Written for those who would like to gain a general understanding of the profession and discipline of the subject, this book introduces the main disorders at the heart of health psychology’s focus such chronic illness, cancer, pain, stress, smoking cessation and weight loss. Further, Rodham examines the behavioural factors and wider political processes that affect the psychology of health, illness and healthcare in society.
This title stands as part of the Insights series edited by Nigel Holt and Rob Lewis, containing well-rounded, quick guides to the cornerstone theories, main topics and theoretical perspectives of their subjects and are useful for pre-undergraduate students looking to find incisive introductions to subjects that they may be considering for undergraduate study or those looking for helpful preparatory reading for undergraduate modules in the prospective subject.Show Less
- Provides a concise introduction for A level students looking to delve deeper into a particular sub-topic of psychology
- Reading guide which organises the content according to relevance for differing A level exam boards in psychology (AQA(A), AQA(B) and OCR)
- Provides a working definition, history and application of the major areas in health psychology
Introduction and Overview
What is Health Psychology?
PART ONE: HEALTH BEHAVIOUR
What is Health Behaviour?
Influences on Health Behaviour
Explaining Health Behaviour: Cognitive Models
PART TWO: HEALTH PROMOTION
What is Health Promotion?
How is Health Promotion Evaluated?
PART THREE: EXAMPLES OF HEALTH ISSUES
Coping with Stress
Treating/Managing Anorexia, Bulimia, Obesity.
In this 2nd Edition, Professor Rodham acts as your very own ‘tour guide’, enthusiastically taking the reader on a fascinating journey through the field of health psychology. She has revised and refreshed this wonderful textbook and now includes very topical issues, including the latest in the science of behaviour change. This textbook is a must read for anyone interested in health psychology and the application of psychological theory to health and well-being. – Professor Neil S. Coulson, Professor of Health Psychology, University of Nottingham
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology Paul Levy
- Cognitive Psychology and Its Implications John R. Anderson
- The Developing Person Through the Life Span Kathleen Berger
- Psychology Daniel Schacter, Daniel Gilbert, Matthew Nock, Daniel Wegner
- Psychology, Human Growth and Development for Social Work Emma O'Brien
- Personal and Relational Construct Psychotherapy Harry Procter, David Winter
- How Children Develop Robert Siegler, Jenny Saffran, Elizabeth Gershoff, Nancy Eisenberg, Judy DeLoache
- Social Psychology and Everyday Life Darrin Hodgetts, Ottilie Stolte, Neil Drew, Christopher Sonn, Linda W. Nikora, Stuart Carr
- LaunchPad for Psychology (12 Month Access Card) Daniel Schacter, Daniel Gilbert, Daniel Wegner, Bruce Hood
- Learning and Memory Mark A. Gluck, Eduardo Mercado, Catherine E. Myers
- Psychology in Everyday Life David G. Myers, C Nathan DeWall
- Social Psychology Robbie Sutton, Karen Douglas
- Advances in Health Psychology Christine Horrocks, Sally Johnson
- Foundations of Health Psychology Ron Roberts, Tony Towell, John Golding
- Critical Health Psychology Michael Murray
- Health Psychology Richard Straub
- Health Psychology Karen Rodham
- Experiencing the Lifespan Janet Belsky
- Foundations of Mental Health Practice Thurstine Basset, Theodore Stickley
- Introduction to Brain & Behavior & LaunchPad for Introduction to Brain and Behavior (Six Month Access) Bryan Kolb, Ian Q. Whishaw, G. Campbell Teskey
- The Purpose of Counselling and Psychotherapy Michael Bennett
- Experiencing Childhood and Adolescence Janet Belsky
- Social and Emotional Development: Karen Rosen
- Future-Minded Magda Osman