This book provides a non-technical introduction to the study of language by focusing on questions such as: Where does language come from? Why don't we all talk the same? Who needs grammar? Suitable for students with no...Show More
This book provides a non-technical introduction to the study of language by focusing on questions such as: Where does language come from? Why don't we all talk the same? Who needs grammar? Suitable for students with no experience of linguistics, this lively introduction to language approaches will encourage students to think.Show Less
Answers the questions that nonspecialists often ask about language
Wideranging and informative without being too technical
Written in an engaging style that combines humour with academic rigour and makes for enjoyable reading
PART 1: THE ORIGINS AND DEVELOPMENT OF LANGUAGE Where Does Language Come From?
Why Don't We All Talk the Same?
Things Ain't What They Used to Be
Bee Talk and Monkey Chatter
PART 2: LANGUAGE STRUCTURES How Do You Spell Accommodation?
How Many Words Do The Eskimos Use?
Going On and On: The Never-ending Story
Who Needs Grammar?
PART 3: LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY How Do We Lose Languages and Does It Matter?
What Shall I Call You?
Do Women and Men Speak Differently?
Sexist Language and Linguist Sexism
What Language Do You Use to Your Grandmother?
Why Can't People in Birmingham Talk Right?
PART 4: LANGUAGE, BRAIN AND MIND Why My Feets Hurted?
Does Bilingualism Rot the Brain?
Building Another Tongue
You've Tasted the Whole Worm
Is Language a Strait Jacket?
When Language Breaks Down
PART 5: CONCLUSION Who Cares About Language?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Mastering Arabic 2 Jane Wightwick, Mahmoud Gaafar
- Mastering Arabic 2 Activity Book Jane Wightwick, Mahmoud Gaafar
- The Everyday Writer, Exercise Version Andrea A. Lunsford
- The Bedford Handbook Diana Hacker, Nancy Sommers
- Essential Statistics for Applied Linguistics Hanneke Loerts, Wander Lowie, Bregtje Seton
- Introduction to Bilingualism Christina Schelletter
- Bedford Glossary of Critical & Literary Terms Ross C. Murfin, Supryia M. Ray
- Contemporary China Kerry Brown
- Discovering Phonetics and Phonology Lynne Cahill
- Thinking Sociolinguistically Paul McPherron, Trudy Smoke
- Applied Translation Studies Tong King Lee
- Mastering Communication Nicky Stanton
- Beginning Linguistics Laurie Bauer
- An Introduction to Linguistics Stuart C Poole
- Language Matters Laurie Bauer, Janet Holmes, Paul Warren
- Speaking Our Minds
- The Romantic Imagination John Spencer Hill
- The Language of Literature Norman Page
- The Stories of Linguistics Kim Ballard
- English Syntax and Argumentation Bas Aarts
- English Language Jonathan Culpeper, Paul Kerswill, Ruth Wodak, Anthony McEnery, Francis Katamba
- Mastering English Grammar S. H Burton