Discovering the Scientist Within is the only book on the market that teaches students about research methods using a case study approach. All the design-focused chapters present students with a single study described from start to finish. Chapters start by asking students to consider a scenario and then walks them through the steps of the study: formulating a research question, performing a literature review, constructing a data collection method, considering ethics, refining the method, gathering data, understanding and reporting the statistical results. Students come away with a practical understanding of the research process and useful practice in the basic steps that comprise all studies. The book can also be purchased with the breakthrough online resource, LaunchPad, which offers innovative media content, curated and organised for easy assignability. LaunchPad's intuitive interface presents quizzing, flashcards, animations and much more to make learning actively engaging.Show Less
2. The Research Process: Ideas to Innovations
3. Ethics: Making Ethical Decisions in Research
4. The Psychologist’s Toolbox: Tools for Building Better Designs
5. Qualitative Research: Getting Into the Mind of a Serial Killer
6. Observational Research: The Many Forms of Discipline in Parents’ Bag of Tricks
7. Survey Design and Scale Construction: Is Going Greek a Great Idea?
8. Two-Group Design: Texting: I Can’t Get You Out of My Mind
9. Multi-Group Design: I’m Feeling Hot, But Is the Earth Hot, Too?
10. Within-Subjects Designs: Can Watching Reality TV Shows Be Good for Us?
11. Factorial Design: 'I Lost My Phone Number, Can I Borrow Yours?' Do Pickup Lines Really Work?
12. Mixed Design: Which Therapy is Best for Treating Eating Disorders?
13. Using Research in the Real World: How Do You Know If You Are Truly Helping?
A. Statistical Tools for Answering Research Questions
B. Communicating the Science of Psychology.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- LaunchPad for The Developing Person Through the Life Span (12 Month Access Card) Kathleen Berger
- LaunchPad for Essentials of Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (12 Month Access Card) Susan Nolan, Thomas Heinzen
- LaunchPad for Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology (12 Month Access Card) Ronald J. Comer
- LaunchPad for Discovering the Scientist Within (12 Month Access Card) Gary Lewandowski, Natalie Ciarocco, David Stromhetz
- LaunchPad for Experiencing the Lifespan (12 Month Access Card) Janet Belsky
- LaunchPad for Exploring Psychology (12 Month Access Card) David G. Myers, C Nathan DeWall
- LaunchPad for Exploring Psychology in Modules (12 Month Access Card) David G. Myers, C Nathan DeWall
- Health Psychology Leslie Frazier
- Psychology: A Concise Introduction LaunchPad Richard A. Griggs, Sherri L. Jackson
- Psychology Peter O. Gray, David Bjorklund
- SPSS for Psychologists Nicola Brace, Rosemary Snelgar, Richard Kemp
- Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology Bryan Kolb, Ian Q. Whishaw
- Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology Ronald J. Comer
- Exploring Psychology David G. Myers, C Nathan DeWall
- The Development of Children Cynthia Lightfoot, Michael Cole, Sheila R. Cole
- Experiencing the Lifespan Janet Belsky
- Issues, Debates and Approaches in Psychology Ian Fairholm
- Emotion Science Elaine Fox
- Psychology, Mental Health and Distress John Cromby, Dave Harper, Paula Reavey
- Attachment Across the Lifecourse David Howe
- Psychology of Addictive Behaviour Antony C. Moss, Kyle R. Dyer