More researchers and academics than ever are now choosing to collate their accumulated published work into a PhD. Universities offer a range of pathways to achieving a PhD by Published Work but there is little guidance...Show More
More researchers and academics than ever are now choosing to collate their accumulated published work into a PhD. Universities offer a range of pathways to achieving a PhD by Published Work but there is little guidance available for potential or existing students. This much-needed book provides a practical and comprehensive guide to all aspects of the award.
Informed by surveys of academic staff from around the world, the text provides an honest assessment of the pros and cons of various routes and helps you to select a pathway that's right for you. It demystifies key processes and aspects of the award, such as navigating regulations, writing a synthesis and preparing for a vice voce examination. In addition, the book provides a wealth of guidance on how to maximise the impact of your publication outputs and improve your success rate with journals. Each chapter is enriched with activities, questions and advice from those who have successfully completed the award to help you get the most out of your doctoral experience.
Practical content enabling candidates to better understand the processes involved, avoid major pitfalls and complete their doctorates effectively
Brings the doctoral journey to life by tapping into the authentic experiences of this route from all angles, with advice and reflections from people who have undertaken the route successfully
1. What is a PhD by Published Work and Why do it?
2. Understanding the Practicalities and Process of Doing a PhD by Published Work
3. Writing for Publication and How to Maximise the Impact of your Publication Outputs
4. Writing Your Synthesis
5. Working With Your Supervisor
6. Managing Your Viva Voce Examination… and Beyond.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- The PhD Viva Peter Smith
- Becoming an Academic Lynn McAlpine, Gerlese Akerlind
- The Good Supervisor Gina Wisker
- Planning Your PhD Kate Williams, Emily Bethell, Judith Lawton
- Completing Your PhD Kate Williams, Emily Bethell, Judith Lawton
- Structuring Your Research Thesis Susan Carter, Frances Kelly, Ian Brailsford
- Getting to Grips with Doctoral Research M. Walshaw
- Getting Published Gina Wisker
- Research Using IT Hilary Coombes
- The Professional Doctorate John Fulton, Judith Kuit, Gail Sanders
- Planning Your Dissertation Kate Williams
- The PhD Experience Evelyn Barron