This is a textbook that derives the fundamental theories of physics from symmetry.
It starts by introducing, in a completely self-contained way, all mathematical tools needed to use symmetry ideas in physics. Thereafter,...
This is a textbook that derives the fundamental theories of physics from symmetry. It starts by introducing, in a completely self-contained way, all mathematical tools needed to use symmetry ideas in physics. Thereafter, these tools are put into action and by using symmetry constraints, the fundamental equations of Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory, Electromagnetism, and Classical Mechanics are derived. As a result, the reader is able to understand the basic assumptions behind, and the connections between the modern theories of physics. The book concludes with first applications of the previously derived equations. Thanks to the input of readers from around the world, this second edition has been purged of typographical errors and also contains several revised sections with improved explanations.Show Less
A highly praised new approach to teaching basic physics based on symmetry principles
Self-contained and pedagogical presentation
Reveals the inner consistency and elegance of theoretical physics in a way no textbook has done before
This second corrected edition contains many revised sections with improved explanations?
Part II Symmetry Tools: Lie Group Theory
Part III The Equations of Nature: Measuring Nature
Part IV Applications: Quantum Mechanics
Quantum Field Theory
Part V Appendices: Vector Calculus
Additional Mathematical Notions.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Physics Jim Breithaupt
- Introduction to Geometry and Topology Walker Stern, Werner Ballmann
- Guide to Linear Algebra David A Towers
- Fundamental Maths Mark Breach
- Foundation Mathematics K.A. Stroud, Dexter Booth
- Mastering Advanced Pure Mathematics Geoff Buckwell
- Guide to Mechanics Philip Dyke, R.W. Whitworth
- Guide to Mathematical Methods David Towers, J. Gilbert, Camilla Jordan
- Guide to Mathematical Modelling David Towers, Dilwyn Edwards, Mike Hamson
- Guide to Abstract Algebra Carol Whitehead, David Towers
- Guide to Analysis Mary Hart, David Towers
- Neural Networks P.D. Picton