This practical textbook by David Moore and William Notz introduces a conceptual approach to statistics and shows students how use these ideas to think about the statistical claims they see every day from polls, campaigns,...Show More
This practical textbook by David Moore and William Notz introduces a conceptual approach to statistics and shows students how use these ideas to think about the statistical claims they see every day from polls, campaigns, advertising, public policy, and many different fields of study.
The ultimate goal is to equip students with solid statistical reasoning skills that will help them understand impact of statistics on all aspects of their lives.Show Less
1 Where Do Data Come From?
2 Samples, Good and Bad
3 What Do Samples Tell Us?
4 Sample Surveys in the Real World
5 Experiments, Good and Bad
6 Experiments in the Real World
7 Data Ethics
9 Do the Numbers Make Sense?
10 Graphs, Good and Bad
11 Displaying Distributions with Graphs
12 Describing Distributions with Numbers
13 Normal Distributions
14 Describing Relationships: Scatterplots and Correlation
15 Describing Relationships: Regression, Prediction, and Causation
16 The Consumer Price Index and Government Statistics
17 Thinking about Chance
18 Probability Models
20 The House Edge: Expected Values
21 What Is a Confidence Interval?
22 What Is a Test of Significance?23 Use and Abuse of Statistical Inference
24 Two-Way Tables and the Chi-Square Test
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Introduction to the Practice of Statistics David S. Moore, George P. McCabe, Bruce A. Craig
- Practice of Statistics in the Life Sciences Brigitte Baldi, David S. Moore
- Critical Statistics Robert de Vries
- Essentials of Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences Susan Nolan, Thomas Heinzen
- The Basic Practice of Statistics David S. Moore, William I Notz, Michael Fligner
- The Practice of Statistics for Business and Economics David Moore, George McCabe, Bruce Craig, Layth Alwan
- Introductory Statistics: A Problem-Solving Approach Stephen Kokoska
- Mastering Statistics T.J. Hannagan
- Statistical Tables J.A. Barnes, J. Murdoch
- The Analysis of Biological Data Michael C. Whitlock, Dolph Schluter