Whatever stage of the peer mentoring journey your students are at, this engagingly-written book will help them to get the most out of their peer mentoring experience. It explains the role of peer mentors in universities and...Show More
Whatever stage of the peer mentoring journey your students are at, this engagingly-written book will help them to get the most out of their peer mentoring experience. It explains the role of peer mentors in universities and shows students exactly what’s involved in providing academic and pastoral support to other students. The book also contains a helpful trouble-shooting chapter, packed with supportive guidance on dealing with challenging scenarios. The final chapters of the book prompt students to reflect on the skills they have developed through peer mentoring, and help them to articulate these skills to prospective employers.
This book will be an essential companion for both aspiring and current student mentors, and an invaluable reference point for staff involved in facilitating peer mentoring schemes.
- Contains a wealth of examples and case studies of real students' experiences of peer mentoring.
- Includes exercises in every chapter, suitable for use by individuals or in group workshops.
- Gives practical guidance on the common issues and tricky aspects of being a mentor, so that students can be confident in their role as a peer mentor.
1. The Role of Peer Mentors in Universities
2. Why Become a Peer Mentor?
3. What Characteristics are Needed to be an Effective Mentor?
4. Academic Support
5. Social Support
7. What Skills do Mentors Gain?
8. Reflecting on the Experience of Being a Mentor
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Anti-Discriminatory Practice Neil Thompson
- Becoming a Critical Thinker Sandra Egege
- Brilliant Essays Ursula Hackett
- Ethics and Values in Social Work Sarah Banks
- How to Write Your Literature Review Bryan Greetham
- Maximizing the Impacts of Academic Research Patrick Dunleavy, Jane Tinkler
- Be Well, Learn Well Gareth Hughes
- The Reflective Journal Barbara Bassot
- Critical Thinking Skills Stella Cottrell
- Getting Critical Kate Williams
- Reading and Making Notes Jeanne Godfrey
- Dissertations and Project Reports Stella Cottrell
- Writing for University Jeanne Godfrey
- Referencing and Understanding Plagiarism Kate Williams, Mary Davis
- Skills for Success Stella Cottrell
- The Study Skills Handbook Stella Cottrell
- How to Write Better Essays Bryan Greetham
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Report Writing Michelle Reid
- 14 Days to Exam Success Lucinda Becker