Whatever stage of the peer mentoring journey your students are at, this engagingly-written book will help them to get the most out of their peer mentoring experience. It explains the role of peer mentors in universities and...Show More
Whatever stage of the peer mentoring journey your students are at, this engagingly-written book will help them to get the most out of their peer mentoring experience. It explains the role of peer mentors in universities and shows students exactly what’s involved in providing academic and pastoral support to other students. The book also contains a helpful trouble-shooting chapter, packed with supportive guidance on dealing with challenging scenarios. The final chapters of the book prompt students to reflect on the skills they have developed through peer mentoring, and help them to articulate these skills to prospective employers.
This book will be an essential companion for both aspiring and current student mentors, and an invaluable reference point for staff involved in facilitating peer mentoring schemes.Show Less
- Contains a wealth of examples and case studies of real students' experiences of peer mentoring.
- Includes exercises in every chapter, suitable for use by individuals or in group workshops.
- Gives practical guidance on the common issues and tricky aspects of being a mentor, so that students can be confident in their role as a peer mentor.
1. The Role of Peer Mentors in Universities
2. Why Become a Peer Mentor?
3. What Characteristics are Needed to be an Effective Mentor?
4. Academic Support
5. Social Support
7. What Skills do Mentors Gain?
8. Reflecting on the Experience of Being a Mentor
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- A Writer's Reference with Exercises Diana Hacker, Nancy Sommers
- Where's Your Evidence? Emma Coonan
- Skills for Business and Management Martin Sedgley
- Critical Thinking for Nursing, Health and Social Care Rena Frohman, Karen Lupton
- Reflective Writing for Nursing, Health and Social Work Elizabeth Tanguay, Peter Hanratty, Ben Martin
- Reading at University Jamie Q Roberts, Caitlin Hamilton
- EasyWriter Andrea A. Lunsford
- EasyWriter with Exercises Andrea A. Lunsford
- Writing for Biomedical Sciences Students Harry Witchel
- Simplify Your Study Peter Lia
- The Student Phrase Book Jeanne Godfrey
- The Everyday Writer Andrea A. Lunsford
- Studying for a Degree Sheila Dunleavy
- How to Study a Poet John Peck
- The Study Abroad Handbook Anna Lidstone, Caroline Rueckert
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Writing for Law Dave Powell, Emma Teare
- Success in Groupwork Peter Hartley, Mark Dawson
- Writing for Nursing and Midwifery Students Julio Gimenez
- The Mature Student's Guide to Writing Jean Rose
- Write it Right John Peck, Martin Coyle
- The Student's Guide to Writing John Peck, Martin Coyle
- The Undergraduate Research Handbook Gina Wisker
- The Postgraduate Research Handbook Gina Wisker