What makes an expert? What strategies do they use? If you're an expert in one domain, are you more likely to become an expert in a second?
In examining questions like these, Professor Fernand Gobet provides a comprehensive...
What makes an expert? What strategies do they use? If you're an expert in one domain, are you more likely to become an expert in a second?In examining questions like these, Professor Fernand Gobet provides a comprehensive overview of the field of expertise. With research from a wide range of disciplines, including psychology, neuroscience, sociology, philosophy, education, law and artificial intelligence, this is the definitive guide to the subject. Understanding Expertise: A Multidisciplinary Approach• considers expertise on a number of levels ranging from the neural to the psychological and the social;• critically evaluates current theories and approaches;• addresses issues of key importance for society, with implications for training methods and the development of artificial expert systems.Show Less
Covers a uniquely broad range of perspectives on the role of expertise and its development
Addresses the question of expertise from multiple academic disciplines, including psychology, neuroscience, sociology, artificial intelligence and philosophy
Features many helpful and illuminating figures and diagrams
The author is an experienced writer and a wellestablished figure in the field, having conducted research on expertise for over 20 years.
2. Perception and Categorisation
4. Problem Solving
5. Decision Making
6. Intuition, Insight and Creativity
7. Talent, Individual Differences and Gender Differences
8. Learning and Education
9. Development and Aging
11. Experts and Society
14. Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems
15. Putting It All Together.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Issues, Debates and Approaches in Psychology Ian Fairholm
- Emotion Science Elaine Fox
- Psychology, Mental Health and Distress John Cromby, Dave Harper, Paula Reavey
- Attachment Across the Lifecourse David Howe
- Psychology of Addictive Behaviour Antony C. Moss, Kyle R. Dyer
- Health Psychology Karen Rodham
- Serious Stat Thom Baguley
- Schizophrenia Kevin Silber
- Research Methods and Statistics Ian Walker
- Meaning in Life Joel Vos
- Models of Mental Health Gavin Davidson, Jim Campbell, Ciarán Shannon, Ciaran Mulholland
- Critical Statistics Robert de Vries