Profound social changes have made governance and political leadership more challenging than ever. The result is that politics in the democratic world faces a crisis in the 21st century. The revised edition of this highly...Show More
Profound social changes have made governance and political leadership more challenging than ever. The result is that politics in the democratic world faces a crisis in the 21st century. The revised edition of this highly successful text reassesses the gap between citizen expectation and the realities of government in light of new developments.Show Less
An accessible introduction to politics and policy that will appeal to undergraduate students on a wide range of politics courses.
Written by a highlyregarded expert in the field with a wealth of experience writing educational materials.
Broadranging in its coverage of global democracies, with strong theoretical analysis of contemporary political leadership issues.
PART ONE MASS DEMOCRACY: TRIUMPH AND DISAPPOINTMENT
1. The Triumph of Democracy?
2. Global Dissatisfaction with Politics
3. Explanations for Political Disenchantment
4. The Politics of Mass Democracies: Designed-In Disappointment?
PART TWO THE PATHOLOGIES OF POLITICAL PRACTICE
5. The Decline of Citizen Engagement?
6. The Professionalization of Activism and Multi-Speed Activism
7. The Dangers of Cynicism
8. The Perils of Populism
PART THREE SEARCHING FOR SOLUTIONS
9. Politics for Amateurs
10. Reviving Political Institutions
11. Creating a New Civic Arena
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Developments in French Politics 6 Helen Drake, Alistair Cole, Sophie Meunier, Vincent Tiberj
- Political Leadership Matthew Laing
- Understanding the European Union John McCormick
- The Afghanistan Wars William Maley
- Russian Government and Politics Eric Shiraev
- Governance and Politics of the Netherlands Rudy B. Andeweg, Galen A. Irwin, Tom Louwerse
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth