Usage statistics reports for Palgrave Macmillan publications
Site licence customers receive usage statistic reports for all Palgrave Macmillan publications. In compliance with COUNTER standards, the reports are uploaded to your Site Licence Administration account before the end of every month for the preceding month. The registered site licence administrator will be alerted by email when reports are available. Statistics are also available during a trial.
Usage reports enable you to:
- Build a monthly and annual overview of usage at your institution
- Measure usage of new publications
- Make informed purchasing decisions
- Compare statistics from different vendors and publishers
- Understand and predict user patterns at your institution
- Plan infrastructure more effectively
Palgrave Macmillan has strongly supported Project COUNTER since its inception in 2003. Working with librarians and publishers, COUNTER provides an agreed international set of standards and protocols governing the recording and exchange of online usage data.
Since the end of 2013, usage statistic reports comply with COUNTER Release 4 and include:
- XML (eXtensible Markup Language) and CSV formats
- Compliancy with SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) for integration with ERM systems
- Consortia-level reporting
- Timely delivery
- Optional email alerts when reports are updated
- Easy to use interface with a self-service account management
SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) supports the automatic retrieval of COUNTER reports as an alternative to downloading spreadsheets. Using MPS Insight, Palgrave Macmillan can deliver reports via SUSHI as required by Release 4 of the COUNTER Code of Practice.
For more information about SUSHI, visit the NISO SUSHI site at www.niso.org/workrooms/sushi/faq
What usage reports do Palgrave Macmillan provide?
- Journal Report 1: Full-Text Article Requests by journal title, platform and month
Reports how many times full-text articles (i.e. HTML or PDF articles and not abstracts) were successfully delivered to users for each journal within a calendar month. A breakdown is given of PDF and HTML numbers.
- Journal Report 1 GOA: Number of successful Gold Open Access full-text article requests by month and journal
Reports how many times users were able to successfully view Gold Open Access journals.
- Journal Report 2: Number of access denied to full-text articles by month, journal and category
Reports the number of times users are not able to access content for each journal per month and category.
- Journal Report 3: Number of successful item requests by month, journal and page type
Reports how many times the different page types were successfully delivered to users for each journal within a calendar month. Page types are broken down into: Table of Contents, Abstracts, Full Text PDF, Full Text HTML, and Full Text Total.
- Journal Report 4: Total searches run by month
Reports how many internal site searches were made by users for each collection within a calendar month, including saved searches, modified searches, and searches with zero results.
- Journal Report 5: Number of successful full text article requests by year of publication and journal title
This report enables customers to distinguish usage of separately acquired archives from the total usage reported in Journal Report 1.
- All Usage Report: Year-to-date summary of customer usage for both subscribed and unsubscribed journals
- IP Address Report: Successful full-text article requests by month for each IP address, for 2009 to date
This report contains full-text article content for all Palgrave Macmillan journals. The report does not specify whether your institution has site licence access to journals from which articles are viewed. For data pre-2009, reports measure successful page views by month and year for each IP address.
- Consortium Report 1: Number of successful full text journal article requests by month, (XML only)
This report is a single XML file, broken down by consortium member, which contains the full text usage data for every online journal and book taken by individual consortium members, calculated on the same basis as in Journal Report 1.
For Palgrave Connect
- Book Report 1: Number of successful title requests, plus PDF and epub by month and title
- Book Report 2: Number of Successful Chapter Level View and Download Requests by Month and Title, where available.(Available for titles published in 2013 onwards)
- Book Report 3: Access Denied to Content Items by Month, Title and Category
- Platform Report 1: Total Searches, Result Clicks and Record Views by Month and Platform
It is recommended that you use Book Reports 1 and 2 for a full picture of Usage.
- IP Address Report: Number of successful title requests by month and IP address
- Hybrid Titles by Collection Report: Number of successful title requests by month and title / Collection
- Collections Report: Number of successful title requests by month and Collection
- ALL USAGE Report – Collection: Number of successful and denied title requests by month and Collection
- ALL USAGE Report – Title: Number of successful and denied title requests by month and title
- Consortium Report 1: Number of successful full text journal article requests by month
For Online Reference
R2: Successful section requests by title
- Contains the number of successful requests per month for sections in that title
- The last column contains the total number of successful requests for each month reported (year-to-date)
R3: Turnaways by title
- Contains the number of turnaways per month for that title
- The final column contains the total number of turnaways for that title for each month reported (year-to-date)
R4: Turnaways by service
- Contains the number of turnaways per month for that service
- The last column contains the sum of the turnaways for that title for each month reported (year-to-date)
R6: Searches and sessions by service
- Contains the number of searches per month for that title
- The final column contains the total number of searches for that title for each month reported (year-to-date).
Add LINK TO MPS INSIGHT PDF (Currently on promotions page)
Add LINK to Reference Usage PDF (Currently on promotions page)