Authors' Rights to Re-use Content
Can I re-use content from my book?Authors, Editors, and Contributors of Macmillan International Higher Education book content have the following re-use rights, without the requirement to seek additional formal permission from us.
Following publication of your book by Macmillan International Higher Education, you may:
- Re-use excerpts or up to one chapter of your material in new works, if the new work is authored or edited by yourself and provided such new works are not of a nature likely to compete with the Macmillan International Higher Education Work.
- If you are not the author or editor of the new work please ask the publisher of the new work to submit a permission request.
You may also:
- Re-use figures, illustrations, and tables from the Contribution (provided that these are not 3rd party material, in which case additional permission will need to be sought from the rights-holder) in new works authored or edited by yourself
Make copies of your work for personal use, including up to one chapter for classroom teaching use (but not for inclusion in course pack material for onward sale by libraries and institutions)
Make and distribute a reasonable number of copies of your work to selected colleagues for their personal use, but not for commercial or systematic distribution
- Make print or digital copies of your work to append to a Curriculum Vitae in support of applications for new posts
- The author's employer, if the work is made within the scope of the author's employment, may use all or part of the work for other intra-company use (e.g. training)
Such re-use is subject to acknowledgment of the Macmillan International Higher Education publication in the following form:[author and/or editor(s) of contribution], [volume and/or contribution title], [year of publication], [publisher (as it appears on our copyright page)] reproduced with permission of Macmillan International Higher Education.
If you are any doubt about whether your intended re-use is covered by this policy, please contact email@example.com for confirmation.
The above policy does not cover the archiving of your work on your/your funders/employer's/institution's website (green open access). If you wish to archive your work, please check our self-archiving policy.