Macmillan International Higher Education
Sample Copy Service
Terms & Conditions
A sample copy is a copy of a textbook that lecturers use to assess as a potential set text for their course or module. It is also known as exam copy, inspection copy or evaluation copy.
The sample copy service allows us to send sample copies of textbooks free of charge. Instead of payment we ask for feedback on books and confirmation of whether they will be used in your teaching.
- To act in good faith, using the service for the purpose for which it is intended.
- To provide feedback on all sample copies sent.
- That you will not sell your copy, or give it away where a copy would otherwise have been sold, e.g. to your institutional library or to a student.
- That we may use your personal information to contact you by email and telephone to request feedback on the samples we have sent you, regardless of whether you have otherwise opted-out of receiving our promotional communications.
Sample copies are sent at our sole discretion, but we use the guidelines below.
To be considered for a sample copy, you must:
- Be a member of teaching staff responsible for making core text recommendations for an academic course.
- Reasonably expect that, should you adopt the book, at least 12 copies of the book will be sold to your students or to your institutional library as a result of your recommendation.
Provide us with the following details at the time of your request:
- Your full academic postal address (we send samples to academic addresses only)
- Your academic email address
- Course/module name
- Course/module start date
- (Expected) Number of students per year
- Academic level (e.g. 1st year undergraduate)
Our London Office will deal with all requests from the following countries:
You will be notified if more information is needed, and when your request has been processed.
UK & EUROPE
Ireland (Republic of)
United States of America
West Bank / Palestine
In addition, our local offices consider requests from the following countries:
Please note that unfortunately not all of our titles are available as sample copies in these countries. After requesting a sample copy, our local sales reps will contact you and inform you about the availability of the requested text.
Korea (Republic of)
Papua New Guinea
Our agents also consider requests from the following countries:
Please note that unfortunately receiving sample copies is not guaranteed in these countries - we will inform you if your request has been unsuccessful.
WEST AND SOUTH EUROPE
The number of sample copies we can send depends on your course(s) and student numbers. If you order several books, we may ask you to reduce your order or accept e-books instead, where available. Once you have fed back on the samples you received, you will be able to order more copies again. Click here to feedback now.